Hanna Alk reagent issues

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any of you are going to make it out to the Smoky Mountain Coral Expo, Hanna is going to have a table. The rep will be available to help out with any questions.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it happened to me as well. But, only opposit . The older bottle trusted 40 ppm lower than the new bottle.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth I tested my alkinity with my API kit and it tested closer to the new bottle results which are higher than the old.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it happened to me as well. But, only opposit . The older bottle trusted 40 ppm lower than the new bottle.

Not opposite, that's the same that is happening to us. Seems that as the reagent is used the readings go down. I just got a new reagent in 2 days ago so I'll give it s try later to see how my old and new bottle compare this time. Only thing I've been doing different since the last new bottle is giving a light shake before each use.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the calibration solution for the ALK checker. Remind me to bring it to the next meeting you're going to attend and we will see if your checker is within the limits.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shake the bottle each time. My response from Hanna is not very good. They know they have problem, but won't tell me what is going on and won't respond anymore. The only thing they asked me was what color the reagent was. Won't tell me what the color difference means. Might go back to Red Sea and sell this thing.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shake the bottle each time. My response from Hanna is not very good. They know they have problem, but won't tell me what is going on and won't respond anymore. The only thing they asked me was what color the reagent was. Won't tell me what the color difference means. Might go back to Red Sea and sell this thing.
This... Is interesting.

Thanks for posting Tim.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and yet again!!! This is getting stupid. I have emailed them again!

IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also sent them a link to this thread, so hopefully if they are as good as company as we all thought they were, they will respond here as well.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy new reagents twice a month.
I will open a new one and compare the results.
I will be back!

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 2 bottles are less then a month old and purchased through BRS at the same time. I thought maybe the previous ones I purchased via Amazon may have been old, but the expiration dates were the same.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok hold on. I have tried to explain the issues many times over.
These are as accurate as you make it. So I have put together a response to this thread.
1 bottle is 30 days old and the second I just opened for these images.
So lets start!
Here is the 30 day old reagent
Vial must be clean of ALL AIR bubbles, smudges and fingerprints.
DSC_0222.JPG
Next the measurement of the reagent has to be exact!
DSC_0223.JPG
Now when you put this in the vial again no smudges, bubbles or prints
DSC_0224.JPG
Here is the result
DSC_0225.JPG

Now on to the new reagent :)
Again no smudges, air bubbles or prints
DSC_0226.JPG
Now the reagent exactly measured
DSC_0227.JPG
Now again introduce the reagent with an absolutely smudge free vial no air bubbles. DSC_0228.JPG

Here is the result :)
DSC_0229.JPG

I can reproduce this all day long..
My tank sits at 160
Now it was my fault on the first test it dropped from my picture platform.
So before there is any bad naming companies make sure you are doing these tests like your in a lab.
Thank you for looking
Todd

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I do it. Your assumption that we are doing something wrong is inaccurate. The only reason I brought this up as 8 months of things being spot on with the Hanna Checker, I have noticed this anomaly in reagents just in the past month or so.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never imposed doing something wrong. Just giving the facts of how to make it accurate.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only thing I can see is that I am using the applicator on the end of my syringe and you are not.

Not to be rude, but when you make comments like "Just giving the facts", it assumes we are not doing is correctly. The FACT is I do this 3 times a week and each time with a new bottle it comes out spot on, then when the reagent bottle gets low it gets off.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now I am not coming down on you at all.
Just showing others how to properly use the Hanna checkers.
I test my water every day. What else do I have to do lol retired
I used to get bad reagents form the red sea ALK test. I can see it right when I unpack it.
Its disturbing for sure!
I get the reagents 4 at a time of the Hanna ALK and so far never an issue since they came out.
If you believe you have a bad reagent then contact whom you bought it from for a replacement

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you showed us how to used the Hanna kit properly. That should solve all of out problems. Oh wait, it didn't. the reason why it didn't is because there is clearly an issue with the reagent as it nears the end of the bottle. Perhaps it settles a bit and needs to be shaken more then normal, perhaps it something else. Either way this is an issue that has occurred with different people at different times and with different reagent Lot#'s. If this was 1 person sure I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but at least 3 here has had this issue and on the other site there are several more with the exact same problem. Heck, apparently even Hanna has acknowledged the issue.

That said, I invite you to read this whole thread again and ask yourself at what point did your teaching us seem warranted.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you showed us how to used the Hanna kit properly. That should solve all of out problems. Oh wait, it didn't. the reason why it didn't is because there is clearly an issue with the reagent as it nears the end of the bottle. Perhaps it settles a bit and needs to be shaken more then normal, perhaps it something else. Either way this is an issue that has occurred with different people at different times and with different reagent Lot#'s. If this was 1 person sure I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but at least 3 here has had this issue and on the other site there are several more with the exact same problem. Heck, apparently even Hanna has acknowledged the issue.

That said, I invite you to read this whole thread again and ask yourself at what point did your teaching us seem warranted.
People who live up north are a little testy. o_O

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back