hanna cal checker and red sea cal

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i checked my calcium with the hanna checker and read 382ppm. I added 35ML of red sea calcium as it said on the back of the bottle. ( i have a 125 gal tank) i checked it later on that night and my calcium read 388ppm. can this be possible or is something off? i used RODI water to clean the tube. (covenet? forgot what they are called) thoughts?

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using my Hanna checker for calcium since mine was doing the same thing after using it for
1-1/2 years.

I couldn’t see buying the calibration solution, so I purchased the Red Sea test kit and after comparing the results, I’m sticking with the red same tritation method from now on.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may make a suggestion with your Hanna checkers, I have found to start with new tips and syringes every time I test. I found that my tests were off using the used tips after use. I seem that especially with the Ca test, having dried residue in the tips throws off testing.

I also use a 10 ml syringe to fill the cuvette with 9 ml distilled water and a pipette with 1 ml disposable tips for the Ca reagent and all other reagents.

I also use and toss a 10 ml syringe for my tank water samples each testing.

I will say that my testing is a hole lot more consistent. I will also say that I make a mistake every once in a while testing by getting distracted:rolleyes:, but after doing the above my errors in testing or off numbers are down by over 90% ;)

jelee01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CA checker was spot on until recently when it now always reports a 380-ish number. I know that is wrong and cross-checked it to Red Sea and a salifert kit bot reading 440-ish. So dumped my checker and sticking with Red Sea titration test. Just can’t rely on the checker.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hanna cal checker is known to be off and give different results even if you test the same water four times. many including myself was able to get a little bit closer reading using distilled water instead of rodi. I would still recommend using the red sea test tho

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back