hanna copper checker question

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting random readings suddenly on my hanna copper checker example i tested my qt tank and got .9 for cupramine panicked tested again right after the first test and got .43 so i did a third test and got .53 and then the final test was .50, i am rinsing the bottle after every test with ro water, once the vial is filled with tank water i am pressing the button and it flashes the two little dashes for a few seconds then says c2 then i am adding the powder( cutting the packet into a v shape and making a crease and tapping all the powder out into the vial) shaking it up letting the bubbles settle and holding the button for three seconds for it to start a 45 second timer and then it gives the reading. I am also wiping the vial down with a glass cleaning cloth the same kind you use on phones before both parts of the test so there is no finger prints. has anyone else had this issue? any help is appreciated this thing worked great for a week or so then started giving random readings.

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this exact issue too, and I think it has to do with the bubbles in the vial after the powder is added.

Ideally, if you have time, dissolve the powder by swirling instead of shaking. It takes a long time though.

I would always spend a lot of time tapping the sides and swirling the coal to remove bubbles before testing.

Then just take the first reading and don't test until the next day. Ignorance can be bliss.

Fortunately my quarantining days are over after adding my last fish a couple of months ago.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have been getting a few results from zero - 0.14, testing barrels of rock, some pieces may have been exposed to copper? The results have gone up, down functionally sideways as I have been running an external filter with Cuprasorb and retesting along the way. Measured my reef tank, got 0.01, 0.01, 0.07 (retested immediately ) 0.00. I feel like the bubble issue needs more attention by me (the tester) to rule out that source of user error. Thanks for the thread & response.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you using the HI702 High Range copper, it is pretty useless under about 0.25ppm because the accuracy is +-0.06ppm.

I use the Seachem copper test for Cupramine

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you using the HI702 High Range copper, it is pretty useless under about 0.25ppm because the accuracy is +-0.06ppm.

I use the Seachem copper test for Cupramine
I’m using the low range and it has too much non repeatable results for me to take it seriously. I think it might be ok for detecting copper presence but how much I can’t get it to repeat values so considering the large range of accuracy I don’t find it useful for this application. It is interesting, but not much else.

They have other Checkers that are useful, but not copper ime

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try using both vials for the test. Keep C1 filled with your tank water, C2 with you testing water. Do the test a few times to rule out the tester. Mixture should be good for a few minutes to do the test an extra time or two. I used to do that when I did copper treatment and always got the same results +/- .06

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the high range for several years with good results. I only use it to test QT and I run copper power at 2-2.4 so it's perfect for that. I'm also not too ocd about cleaning the vials. Rinse with RO shake and back in the case. I'm lazy like that with all my Hanna kits and really don't have an issue with inconsistencies. Maybe the low range is not as reliable as the high range

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the low range and it has too much non repeatable results for me to take it seriously. I think it might be ok for detecting copper presence but how much I can’t get it to repeat values so considering the large range of accuracy I don’t find it useful for this application. It is interesting, but not much else.

They have other Checkers that are useful, but not copper ime
The low range copper test is freshwater only, and gives nonsense results in saltwater.

See General Description and Intended use in the user manual.

I also confirmed that it is not useful for Saltwater with Hanna tech support, some time ago.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gbroadbridge is correct. I wasnt aware but is good to know.
copper tester.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back