Hanna Marine Monitor - finally got it!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been thinking about it for a while and I finally got the Hanna Marine Monitor for my saltwater mixing station.

Box & box opening:

IMG_5080.jpeg

IMG_5081.jpeg

IMG_5082.jpeg

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meter w/ probes and calibration packets (2 each).

IMG_5091.jpeg

IMG_5085.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve been thinking about it for a while and I finally got the Hanna Marine Monitor for my saltwater mixing station.

Box & box opening:

IMG_5080.jpeg

IMG_5081.jpeg

IMG_5082.jpeg
You said " You were thinking about it !! "
Congrats- I knew you would be an owner sooner than later. Let us know how it performs please

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You said " You were thinking about it !! "
Congrats- I knew you would be an owner sooner than later. Let us know how it performs please
The mixing station container is a Norwesco 65g polyethylene tank. I have Hanna probes mounted about 4" off of the bottom and about 6" away from the bottom discharge/recirculation exit so there is some flow, but not directly in high flow. I used the Slide-Loc two probe, probe holder (recommended by @TangerineSpeedo) to mount the probes. Although there is a flat spot near the discharge bulkhead, I put the probe holder a little wider so it is on the curved part of the tank. I was concerned about how well the magnet would work on curved polyethylene, however it seems to work fine. After mounting the monitor and doing all of the calibrations, I filled the tank with RO water and then slowly added salt while the water in the tank was recirculating on high using my Varios 6 pump. The values bounced a bit as the actual salinity climbed. Once I got it close to the desired level then I let it settle and I came back several minutes later and added a bit of RO to get it exactly at the desired level. The salinity, temp, and pH have all been consistent since that time and they all have been cross validated by other testing meters. At this point (meaning a couple of days into the adventure) I am happy with the product.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did another water change this past weekend. After filling the water mixing station with RO water, the monitor was flashing red (as it should have) because it was well below the minimum salinity. With the recirculation pump on high and the sediment filter pump off, I slowly started pouring in the salt. It was very satisfying to see the salinity number on the monitor slowly start to climb. From my previous water change, I realized that if I stop adding salt when it reads 1.024 then it will usually end up at 1.026 (my desired level) once it is fully mixed. So far, so good!

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice ! I’ve been looking at this as well. What brand of salt are you using ??
I have used a few buckets of Brightwell's NeoMarine this past year, but I usually Reef Crystals.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a few buckets of Brightwell's NeoMarine this past year, but I usually Reef Crystals.
Does brightwells mix pretty clear fast ? Or would you think that makes a difference if one used a brand that isn’t as clean with anticaking material etc. .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does brightwells mix pretty clear fast ?
IO and RC make everything else look good! That said, yes NeoMarine seems to mix well and is recommended by WWC.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can this meter be used on your display tank?
Yes. Many prefer to use the salinity meter that connects to their controller, but based on my research I am more confident with the readings from this meter for salinity (it also does salinity and temperature), even though it doesn’t connect to a controller.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the probe holder is working well, I've use on half inch glass past few years. The dry side magnet is also double sealed if you ever need to place the entire thing in the water.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let us know how long it keeps its calibrations.
I have to recalibrate my Hanna salinity checker every 3-5 checks. Which is unacceptable to me.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please let us know how long it keeps its calibrations.
I have to recalibrate my Hanna salinity checker every 3-5 checks. Which is unacceptable to me.
Is it pH or salinity that you are needing to regularly recalibrate (or both)? I recalibrate every 2-3 three weeks, but haven't found any notable changes.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it pH or salinity that you are needing to regularly recalibrate (or both)? I recalibrate every 2-3 three weeks, but haven't found any notable changes.
Sorry, I wasn't talking about this particular product.
I use the Hanna HI98319. That needs constant calibration. At least mine does.

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this and I'm not impressed with it. The pH calibration only holds on mine for a few days then becomes wildly innacurate. I contacted hanna and they sent me a new pH probe but it didnt fix the problem. My Apex probe will say 8.3 while this hanna probe says 7.9. If I recalibrate the hanna pH probe it will agree with the Apex but after a few days it drifts down again. I also can't get the hanna to calibrate the pH probe using both the 7 and 10 calibration solution. It works fine up until I place the probe in the pH 10 solution then it says out of range or something like that and won't accept the pH 10 calibration solution. I am using all Hanna calibration solutions and following the instructions to the T. The salinity probe works well for me though.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back