Who is using the Hanna Marine Monitor?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The @Hanna Instruments Marine Monitor has now been out for a little while and I'm curious to know who has one. If you do, do you have it on your tank, your water mixing station, or in another way? Yes, I know it doesn't have WIFI and I think that would make it better. I know that several people have comment on the price which they think is too high. With eyes wide open, I still want to add it to my saltwater mixing station.

One question that I am curious about -- for anyone that has added the Hanna Marine Monitor to your water mixing station, how did you mount it?

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting. What is out of whack? Salinity, pH, temperature, or all of the above?

Doogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too tired to read properly….

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The @Hanna Instruments Marine Monitor has now been out for a little while and I'm curious to know who has one. If you do, do you have it on your tank, your water mixing station, or in another way? Yes, I know it doesn't have WIFI and I think that would make it better. I know that several people have comment on the price which they think is too high. With eyes wide open, I still want to add it to my saltwater mixing station.

One question that I am curious about -- for anyone that has added the Hanna Marine Monitor to your water mixing station, how did you mount it?
I looked at this and was told the numbers change as to non-consistent and I ended up getting the marine master kit instead mainly with PH

razorskiss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do and Love it. So much more organized, quick to do tests and the unit tells you each step opposed to using cards and logs all results digitally up to ten tanks. Much nicer vials also for tests

I think they're talking about a different product:
This one seems to do continuous temp / pH / salinity monitoring

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think they're talking about a different product:
This one seems to do continuous temp / pH / salinity monitoring
Yes, it is the continuous salinity monitoring for my water mixing station that I am focused on. From all of the research that I have done and all of the experts that I have talked to throughout the industry, my current perception is that the Hanna salinity monitor is the best continuous salinity monitor available at this time.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. What is out of whack? Salinity, pH, temperature, or all of the above?
Honestly I don’t remember. Just happened to see it mounted on the wall and asked and the manager said it was junk. Said within a week of calibrating all the readings were off.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on my 100g system and it's been pretty accurate for me against other tests, but I do calibrate it monthly as recommended. The temp sensor on it is usually about half a degree to a full degree lower than my Helios. It can be a little tricky to learn to calibrate initially - I had to follow a video the first time and felt a little dumb after since it isn't actually difficult. You just have to know which buttons to progress the calibration.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has used this with their saltwater mixing station (especially a polyethylene container) and how they mounted it? TIA

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has used this with their saltwater mixing station (especially a polyethylene container) and how they mounted it? TIA
Are you curious on mounting the probes or the whole unit?
For the probes I think this would work

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you curious on mounting the probes or the whole unit?
For the probes I think this would work
The unit will mount to the wall. My main question is about how to mount the probes inside a 65 g round polyethylene tank. I’m assuming I don’t want to let them just dangle in the water.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit will mount to the wall. My main question is about how to mount the probes inside a 65 g round polyethylene tank. I’m assuming I don’t want to let them just dangle in the water.
I have that probe holder, it is pretty strong. The specs say up to a 1/2 inch glass

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the tip. I ordered the slide-loc probe holder so we'll see how it goes!

JCas06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity drifts constantly and seems to be getting worse. You can sometimes swish the probe around and it will go back to normal but what I’m seeing is that is no longer working and I am calibrating constantly. Just calibrated last night and again this morning. And I don’t think you can replace the salinity probe I could be wrong though.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity drifts constantly and seems to be getting worse. You can sometimes swish the probe around and it will go back to normal but what I’m seeing is that is no longer working and I am calibrating constantly. Just calibrated last night and again this morning. And I don’t think you can replace the salinity probe I could be wrong though.
If your probe is not in a high flow area you might need to create one. I use the @Vivid Creative Aquatics Salinity probe kit for my Apex and it my hair is now growing back after pulling it all out. The probes for the Hannah look about the same size and others so I am sure it will work.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone provide the outer diameter of the probe being used on the Hanna kit? if so I can tell you if it will work the our Salinity Probe Stability Kit (SPS-Kit)

It need to have a snug fit over the probe, so it needs to be around +/-12mm O.D.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can anyone provide the outer diameter of the probe being used on the Hanna kit? if so I can tell you if it will work the our Salinity Probe Stability Kit (SPS-Kit)

It need to have a snug fit over the probe, so it needs to be around +/-12mm O.D.
The product manual lists the salinity/temp probe OD at 12.5 mm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back