Hanna Nitrate HR - Defective reagents

marinaaquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest few boxes of HI782 (Nitrate High Range) reagents appear to have a bunch of duds in them. Like nearly half the packets will register like 0.5-1.0 ppm NO3. Usually when that happens, I retest with another packet and I get my normal 13-15 ppm. Anybody else experiencing this?
Hi I have had the same issue with three different lots. For me they are reading 0.0.

marinaaquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest few boxes of HI782 (Nitrate High Range) reagents appear to have a bunch of duds in them. Like nearly half the packets will register like 0.5-1.0 ppm NO3. Usually when that happens, I retest with another packet and I get my normal 13-15 ppm. Anybody else experiencing this?
I have had the same issue with 3 different lots. The result is 0.0 and there is no color when I add the reagent.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same issue with 3 different lots. The result is 0.0 and there is no color when I add the reagent.
Contact Hanna customer service. Duds are a real possibility. I had it happen and received replacements.

vitaliyphoto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to resurrect this thread but have exact same issue, a little bit less than 50% of all tests read three times lower than the other ones. There are defective packets mixed in with normal ones.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to resurrect this thread but have exact same issue, a little bit less than 50% of all tests read three times lower than the other ones. There are defective packets mixed in with normal ones.
You should post the batch number/expiry date so others can also compare.
I have that issue at the moment with HI782-0 Batch Lot H041 Exp 11/2027

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I have a batch that is batting 50%.

There is a 100% correlation between whether the reagent flows and giving the same reading as the Hanna LR test. The reagent that compacts like flour and flows poorly gives 0 ppm. Reagent that flows gives a correct result. Contact Hanna.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I have a batch that is batting 50%.

There is a 100% correlation between whether the reagent flows and giving the same reading as the Hanna LR test. The reagent that compacts like flour and flows poorly gives 0 ppm. Reagent that flows gives a correct result. Contact Hanna.
That's what mine looks like too.
I can tell when I open the sachet whether to do the test or toss the reagent and save my time.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last box had one dud, but the reagent didn’t look right, so I knew it was likely bad, and it was. As mentioned it was clumpy and the color was off (more yellowish), it clearly looked different.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last box had one dud, but the reagent didn’t look right, so I knew it was likely bad, and it was. As mentioned it was clumpy and the color was off (more yellowish), it clearly looked different.
I've lodged a report with Hanna Tech support reporting the damp/clumpy reagent in my batch.
I'd suggest others do the same so that they are aware of the issue and have it in their database.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lodged a report with Hanna Tech support reporting the damp/clumpy reagent in my batch.
I'd suggest others do the same so that they are aware of the issue and have it in their database.
Do they ask for the Lot # when you report it? It was part of my last box and I don’t have any info from that batch. I took a picture of the reagent wen I saw it, but I just looked on my phone and I must have eventually deleted the picture.
Although I think I may have posted a picture of it on this forum. Maybe I’ll see if I can find the picture.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I found the picture of the reagent, but you can’t see any of the info from the packet in the picture.
Here is what mine looked like
IMG_0426.jpeg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they ask for the Lot # when you report it? It was part of my last box and I don’t have any info from that batch. I took a picture of the reagent wen I saw it, but I just looked on my phone and I must have eventually deleted the picture.
Although I think I may have posted a picture of it on this forum. Maybe I’ll see if I can find the picture.
I just sent them an email and put the details in the body.
I'm pretty sure that the web form also lets you just type freeform text into the message area, but of course I'm looking at the Australian Website.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sent them an email and put the details in the body.
I'm pretty sure that the web form also lets you just type freeform text into the message area, but of course I'm looking at the Australian Website.
Ok. I will report it. I didn’t worry too much about it because my box only had 1 bad packet.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I will report it. I didn’t worry too much about it because my box only had 1 bad packet.
Same, 1 bad... (for now...)

Last edited:

RelaxingWithTheReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue with lot #0132 Exp 05/2028.

Hanna explained to me the reagent is very sensitive to moisture. They suggest not storing the reagent in a damp place like a basement.

I purchased from Amazon a Plano Guide Series 3600 Dry Box, and a Moisture Absorbing Desiccant Bag for storage. I purchase a few at a time direct from Hanna, and right into the box. It seems to help.

The reagent should be a fine powder, and fine powder should evenly coat the inside surfaces of the packet. If the powder has a granular appearance or feel, or the inside surface of the packet is not uniformly dusty, the reagent is likely compromised. Unfortunately I have seen some reagents pass the "Powder Test", and still read low. It's very frustrating.

If a measurement comes out low and is questionable, I will retest. I will feel the packet, and verify the powder feels smooth, and not lumpy like sand. It's kind of Micky Mouse :)

I like the Hanna products, but unfortunately their reagents can be problematic. There are also issues with floaters in their Alkalinity reagent. Maybe contamination resulting in bacterial or fungal growth? IDK. Fortunately I have not detected any change in accuracy with the presence of the contamination. Just don't transfer the floaters to the test sample where it could interfere with the light beam, and result in an improper alkalinity reading.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue with lot #0132 Exp 05/2028.

Hanna explained to me the reagent is very sensitive to moisture. They suggest not storing the reagent in a damp place like a basement.

I purchased from Amazon a Plano Guide Series 3600 Dry Box, and a Moisture Absorbing Desiccant Bag for storage. I purchase a few at a time direct from Hanna, and right into the box. It seems to help.

The reagent should be a fine powder, and fine powder should evenly coat the inside surfaces of the packet. If the powder has a granular appearance or feel, or the inside surface of the packet is not uniformly dusty, the reagent is likely compromised. Unfortunately I have seen some reagents pass the "Powder Test", and still read low. It's very frustrating.

If a measurement comes out low and is questionable, I will retest. I will feel the packet, and verify the powder feels smooth, and not lumpy like sand. It's kind of Micky Mouse :)

I like the Hanna products, but unfortunately their reagents can be problematic. There are also issues with floaters in their Alkalinity reagent. Maybe contamination resulting in bacterial or fungal growth? IDK. Fortunately I have not detected any change in accuracy with the presence of the contamination. Just don't transfer the floaters to the test sample where it could interfere with the light beam, and result in an improper alkalinity reading.
I've given up using all the Hanna checkers except ULR phosphate.

The others are too problematic, and Salifert tests tell me all that I need for less cost and effort.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae tank keeps things pretty low too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back