Reagent issue with Hanna Nitrate HR?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened a new box and some of the reagent packages look vastly different than they have in the past. They also give unexpected readings.

These are two packs from the same box and lot #
Nitrate reagent comparison.jpg

It doesn't show up well in the picture but the packet on the right is a pinkish/rose color while the one on the left is the normal light gray that I usually see. Performed a test with both packets. The one on the left read 8.8 which is very much in line with recent readings for my tank. The one on the right read 0.8! This is third packet that looks like this so far in the newly opened box.

Lot # is H036 with an expiration date of 10/2027. Anyone else had similar issues?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had same issue with lot H035 of Marine Nitrate HR reagents:
About half of the 10 or so I've used seemed damp/clumpy inside and tested at 0.1 ppm (WAY INACCURATE / LOW).
About half tried were fine and would test at regular 10-ish ppm on same water sample.

I reported to Hanna on their website support form and they are supposedly sending me a new reagent pack for free. (Don't have it yet but their response was just yesterday)

GFX360x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few the same way recently. Was testing nitrates at about 15 and then a random 2 on an extra clumpy package of reagent. I didn't think much of it then 3 days later tested back at about 16. I should have re-tested when I got 2. Phosphate steady at .05. :rolleyes:

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple of bad one's as well in a kit I recently bought.
I bought a 25 pack replacement regent set from premium aquatics and they're all good.
When I saw a 3 that's when I knew.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue, but not recently. Must be a bad batch.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened a new box and some of the reagent packages look vastly different than they have in the past. They also give unexpected readings.

These are two packs from the same box and lot #
Nitrate reagent comparison.jpg

It doesn't show up well in the picture but the packet on the right is a pinkish/rose color while the one on the left is the normal light gray that I usually see. Performed a test with both packets. The one on the left read 8.8 which is very much in line with recent readings for my tank. The one on the right read 0.8! This is third packet that looks like this so far in the newly opened box.

Lot # is H036 with an expiration date of 10/2027. Anyone else had similar issues?

I was just about to post this because our packets are inconsistent and getting crazy low readings!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back