Hanna Phosphate Testing Surprise

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, opened a new box of HI736 Hanna ULR reagents and this is what my sample mixed up to, lol. Either my phosphates just went through the roof (too high to get a reading...kept flashing 200) or a bad reagent pack... turned out to be the latter, retest was more in line at my expected 0.07ppm PO4! Hopefully this was only one bad packet!!

HI736 lot # H082 (exp 10/2021)

For reference, the sample vial for my tank is almost clear to a barely noticable tinge of blue, lol
20191204_195018.jpg

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a single pack that was bad or was the whole lot of reagent bad?
So far just a single pouch... I'm doing some other tests now to confirm others are consistent... and so far ok.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever had one other clearly erroneous test with Hanna and that occurred when I moved the tester to another table while it was reading the sample.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that on a few also.......kinda scary if you don't know that it happens from time to time.

It was a bit scary at first...I was just doing my regular mixing in my hands while watching my son's video game and then looked down and saw the color and about freaked out... then calm settled in and figured I'd have to confirm it, lol.

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a bit scary at first...I was just doing my regular mixing in my hands while watching my son's video game and then looked down and saw the color and snout freaked out... then calm settled in and figured I'd have to confirm it, lol.
Lol yeah I hear ya.....the first thing I do is run and grab the GFO and a measuring cup.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a bit scary at first...I was just doing my regular mixing in my hands while watching my son's video game and then looked down and saw the color and snout freaked out... then calm settled in and figured I'd have to confirm it, lol.
The first time I saw that color I was testing a used live rock barrel I was curing. I’d already acid dipped the rock and let it cook in a bucket for a few months with frequent water changes. I was thinking about adding some of that rock to my sump but decided to test for phosphate because I the rock was used before. I remember the sample instantly turned blue as I added reagent. The sample pegged the meter.

I diluted a new sample and tested again to get a number but the second test also started turning blue very quickly.

Glad I didn’t add that rock and I do love the color.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back