Hanna Phosphorous ULR test result

ld762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the ULR test kit and measure it out to 200 which is about 0.613.
How do I go about lowering it? TIA.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium with a nice light and Chaeto would be good start.

OP
OP
ld762

ld762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium with a nice light and Chaeto would be good start.
This is an AIO so fuge is out of the question. I have some chaeto in the back chamber with some small LED lights but it's not growing. I have another tank with a sump and UFO light but can't seem to get chaeto to grow either.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that in the range you expected?

If not, try rinsing the vials out a few times. I got a few results that were super high at one point, then it went back to normal. I'm still not entirely sure why. TLDR, re-test a couple times to confirm.

OP
OP
ld762

ld762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that in the range you expected?

If not, try rinsing the vials out a few times. I got a few results that were super high at one point, then it went back to normal. I'm still not entirely sure why. TLDR, re-test a couple times to confirm.
I was kind of expecting that cuz my torches aren't happy at all.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd second ensuring you perform the test a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke or user error. Assuming your tank doesn't normally run at this level, I would bring the level down SLOWLY. You can increase your frequency of WCs, add a refugium, algae turf scrubber, lanthum chloride, gfo, etc. There are a ton of ways, but all require you to go SLOW ;). Also, make sure you look at the other piece of the puzzle- the nutrients you are adding to the tank. Often, this is the first place to start- looking at overfeeding, supplements, or coral food. Many contain extremely high levels of phosphate.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you probably don’t have to worry about dinos!

I second all that has been said. Confirm your testing and if it’s correct, pick your strategy and remember that nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank. Or really any aquarium.

OP
OP
ld762

ld762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is causing your phosphate levels. What and how often are you feeding. I use a Clearwater scrubber, but that may not be an option here.

For the fish I feed frozen brine shrimp daily; for corals AB+ twice a week. Notice a little build up on the glass so I have cut back a lot.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the ULR test kit and measure it out to 200 which is about 0.613.
How do I go about lowering it? TIA.
FYI, I believe 200 ppb is the upper limit of the ulr tester. Meaning your actual phosphates are likely off scale high. I bought the ulr tester when I started testing my water, and ended up buying the low range phosphate tester (713) so that I could actually know where I stood. Phosphate Rx was my main tool to get my levels down.

OP
OP
ld762

ld762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I believe 200 ppb is the upper limit of the ulr tester. Meaning your actual phosphates are likely off scale high. I bought the ulr tester when I started testing my water, and ended up buying the low range phosphate tester (713) so that I could actually know where I stood. Phosphate Rx was my main tool to get my levels down.
Yeah, I thought 200 is the upper limit. I got this reading on both of my tanks. I have cut back on feeding for both fish & corals and just got PhosGuard. Will be testing again in a few days and if that doesn't work out, I will look into Phosphate Rx. Thanks.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go with just a couple drops of phosphateRX per day until it gets down to normal.

AquaPhilNJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO added into the AIO overflow for regular phosphate maintenance. However for now to speed up reduction I would try Brightwell Phosphate-E (lanthanum chloride).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back