Hanna Salinity Meter vs. Refractometer?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have calibrated both my Hanna Salinity Checker and Refractometer with the same 35 PPT salinity mixture and my Hanna meter shows 34 PPT in my tank while my Refractometer shows 38 PPT. Which is more accurate?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna = -1
Refractometer = +3

Hanna, according to your measurements is more precise and accurate.

Hanna!

Animated GIF

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Hanna salinity probes and find them to be very accurate. I save the calibration fluid in a sealed jar - to double-check accuracy regularly (vs spending to frequently calibrate)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need calibration soln for both instruments, calibrate them with their proper soln and test.

I use a plastic swing arm. I've carried it with me to many tropical reefs just to see what it says. I actually trust it more than Hanna, and probably more than a refractometer because I feel more confident with containing user error with the swing arm. I usually measure 3 times to try and eliminate error.

Try repetitive measurements with your instruments!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have calibrated both my Hanna Salinity Checker and Refractometer with the same 35 PPT salinity mixture and my Hanna meter shows 34 PPT in my tank while my Refractometer shows 38 PPT. Which is more accurate?

Is you calibration solution made for both types?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of absolute accuracy, a conductivity meter cannot be wrong as the definition oF PSU is expressed in terms of the conductivity of a known solution of KCl.

Which test solution did you use? Normally there are different calibration solutions for each type of measurement instrument.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Hanna salinity probes and find them to be very accurate. I save the calibration fluid in a sealed jar - to double-check accuracy regularly (vs spending to frequently calibrate)
You should not be doing that - the smallest amount of contamination or evaporation will affect the results.

Make your own calibration solution by the gallon - it only costs a few cents.

OP
OP
A

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In terms of absolute accuracy, a conductivity meter cannot be wrong as the definition oF PSU is expressed in terms of the conductivity of a known solution of KCl.

Which test solution did you use? Normally there are different calibration solutions for each type of measurement instrument.

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, not to hijack an old post, but I was just considering getting the Hanna Salinity Tester and was going to buy a bunch of calibration fluid, but can you actually just buy a few packs to fill up a jar part way, keep it sealed, and the solution will always stay 35ppt??? Definitely curious to know more haha

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, not to hijack an old post, but I was just considering getting the Hanna Salinity Tester and was going to buy a bunch of calibration fluid, but can you actually just buy a few packs to fill up a jar part way, keep it sealed, and the solution will always stay 35ppt??? Definitely curious to know more haha
Actually, the salinity does go up slightly - due to very small amounts of evaporation - but i can quickly determine if my Hanna is calibrated by knowing what that difference is. 1x a month i use their 35ppt calibration fluid and then, when done, put it into the said sealed jar. Retest and know what the new accurate amount is. This way, when i'm doing a quick check on the tanks and get a weird salinity reading, i can just go to the jar and double check that the hanna is properly calibrated, or not

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the salinity does go up slightly - due to very small amounts of evaporation - but i can quickly determine if my Hanna is calibrated by knowing what that difference is. 1x a month i use their 35ppt calibration fluid and then, when done, put it into the said sealed jar. Retest and know what the new accurate amount is. This way, when i'm doing a quick check on the tanks and get a weird salinity reading, i can just go to the jar and double check that the hanna is properly calibrated, or not
Oh gotcha! So you still use the packets for the 1x per month calibration and the jar is for quick checks throughout that month so you don't have to waste another packet? Any sealable jar will suffice I guess?

wet_rocks_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed about the Hanna Checkers, Take your readings away from any wiring. I noticed that when I place it close to my inkbird temp probes, I would get a false readings.

Back