Hanna salinity rusting

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just wondered had anybody else has got this happening on their salinity tester?

Not sure if it's a problem, it's still reading okay at this point, but pretty disappointing considering it is described as "waterproof"...

( it was dipped in my ATO after each use so it's not from having salt left on it)

IMG20220305214656.jpg

OP
OP
ajm83

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet... (cross fingers).
Thanks, hope it stays good.

I've emailed Hanna, it's out of warranty but i'm still interested in their opinion on it.

OP
OP
ajm83

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been drying it afterwards ?

What I've been doing is take measurement, dip in the ATO (RODI water), shake all the excess off, quick wipe of the exterior with a cloth, back in the box with the cap on.

No doubt traces of moisture have been left on the metal probe as you can't easily get a cloth around it, but it's never been left soaking wet.

If i'd known this was a concern I'd have left out it with the cap off... ;Facepalm

OP
OP
ajm83

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've now spoken to Hanna and they reckon it's probably nothing to worry about.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've now spoken to Hanna and they reckon it's probably nothing to worry about.
As the meter relies on the temp probe to compensate for temperature I would double check against a calibrated refractometer also take into consideration hannas +- 1ppt

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have proof of purchase that's dated under 1 year?

Their website clearly states:

Graphite Sensors

Unlike stainless steel sensors, graphite sensors reduces polarization effects and does not oxidize for more reliable and accurate readings.

It also clearly states there is a 1 year warranty.

If you have proof of purchase I would claim a replacement under the warranty process.

Better than ignoring and the dang probe falls out from internal rusting in 2 yrs

OP
OP
ajm83

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have proof of purchase that's dated under 1 year?

Their website clearly states:

Graphite Sensors

Unlike stainless steel sensors, graphite sensors reduces polarization effects and does not oxidize for more reliable and accurate readings.

It also clearly states there is a 1 year warranty.

If you have proof of purchase I would claim a replacement under the warranty process.

Better than ignoring and the dang probe falls out from internal rusting in 2 yrs

Cheers ZW but it's over a year old, and I think the graphite sensors are the conductivity ones, I think the temp one is stainless.

It's kinda tempting to put a bead of silicone round the base of the temp sensor but I doubt it could get decent seal with such an inaccessible area

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers ZW but it's over a year old, and I think the graphite sensors are the conductivity ones, I think the temp one is stainless.

It's kinda tempting to put a bead of silicone round the base of the temp sensor but I doubt it could get decent seal with such an inaccessible area
Are you fully submerging the probe? Not sure what instructions say, but I personally wouldn't submerge past the halfway point on the probe keeping the upper parts not in SW contact

But what do I know

OP
OP
ajm83

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you fully submerging the probe? Not sure what instructions say, but I personally wouldn't submerge past the halfway point on the probe keeping the upper parts not in SW contact

But what do I know
Nah just dipping it, but it is supposedly fully waterproof anyway.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol

And that rust spot on your car, nothing to worry about.

It tells me water is likely penetrating to places it should not.

OP
OP
ajm83

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

And that rust spot on your car, nothing to worry about.

It tells me water is likely penetrating to places it should not.

My thoughts exactly! :D

I think for now I'll keep using it for my QT since I'm mainly interested in the difference between the bag and QT salinity for acclimation purposes, the exact values are not too critical.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back