Hanna Salinity Tester - first impressions

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate my Hanna to tank temp also. Haven’t checked in awhile but my Hanna would be 1.026 and refractometer was 1.028. I use the Hanna only but mix and keep tank at 1.024. Either way I’m safe.
I haven't used the thing in ages to be honest. I tried letting the calibration fluid be at tank temp, I tried letting the sample come to room temp. My icp tests match my refractometer not the hanna. Maybe I got a messed up one? I gave up.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used the thing in ages to be honest. I tried letting the calibration fluid be at tank temp, I tried letting the sample come to room temp. My icp tests match my refractometer not the hanna. Maybe I got a messed up one? I gave up.
They all seem to read different. I just subtract what it off. I struggle seeing the numbers on a refractometer.
It’s definitely Hanna reading different then the industry standard

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate my Hanna to tank temp also. Haven’t checked in awhile but my Hanna would be 1.026 and refractometer was 1.028. I use the Hanna only but mix and keep tank at 1.024. Either way I’m safe.
Just to be clear; the Hanna Salinity Tester can be calibrated for conductivity (≈salinity) but not temperature.

The temperature range is listed in the Hanna manual as being 0~50ºC (32 ~ 122º F) ±0.5ºC (1ºF)

This temperature resolution is pretty standard among hobby grade equipment. It's quite possible for two thermometers to differ by 1.5º F and still be within spec. The Neptune Apex probe can be calibrated (BRS made a video about this a while ago) but most other thermometers we use in our tanks can't be calibrated. As @Ippyroy said, consistency is more important than the absolute value.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear; the Hanna Salinity Tester can be calibrated for conductivity (≈salinity) but not temperature.

The temperature range is listed in the Hanna manual as being 0~50ºC (32 ~ 122º F) ±0.5ºC (1ºF)

This temperature resolution is pretty standard among hobby grade equipment. It's quite possible for two thermometers to differ by 1.5º F and still be within spec. The Neptune Apex probe can be calibrated (BRS made a video about this a while ago) but most other thermometers we use in our tanks can't be calibrated. As @Ippyroy said, consistency is more important than the absolute value.
I have two certified thermometers that read .5 higher then Hanna. Not bad
I only use Hanna for conductivity but keep my salinity little lower the 1.026. It’s consistent and I’m happy

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two certified thermometers that read .5 higher then Hanna. Not bad
I only use Hanna for conductivity but keep my salinity little lower the 1.026. It’s consistent and I’m happy

what are they certified too? I’ve been amazed to find that certified thermometers are only certified to 1f or more, to me that is not very accurate.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are they certified too? I’ve been amazed to find that certified thermometers are only certified to 1f or more, to me that is not very accurate.
I think you are correct. My two are .2 from each other and Hanna is .5 lower if you split the two. Close enough for me because my fish seem happy. Only double check every so often with the Hanna.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back