Hanna testers lifetime

tanks2u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a beginner question, but I am new to Hanna testers (usually use Salifert). I know the reagents that come with the Hanna testers have an expiration date, which to my understanding matches the expiration date on the kit packaging, but do the testers themselves expire or have a defined lifetime? I did find an older thread where a similar question was asked, but the responses didn't really answer the question, and were more about poster's dislike of Hanna which isn't helpful. Thanks.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a beginner question, but I am new to Hanna testers (usually use Salifert). I know the reagents that come with the Hanna testers have an expiration date, which to my understanding matches the expiration date on the kit packaging, but do the testers themselves expire or have a defined lifetime? I did find an older thread where a similar question was asked, but the responses didn't really answer the question, and were more about poster's dislike of Hanna which isn't helpful. Thanks.
I am a Hanna Instruments authorized dealer and am not aware of a shelf life of the tester itself. There is a one year warranty on all Marine Line testers, and they sell standards separately that can check the accuracy of the meter. If the accuracy is off by more than the stated accuracy, they will send you a new one within the warranty period.

OP
OP
tanks2u

tanks2u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Hanna Instruments authorized dealer and am not aware of a shelf life of the tester itself. There is a one year warranty on all Marine Line testers, and they sell standards separately that can check the accuracy of the meter. If the accuracy is off by more than the stated accuracy, they will send you a new one within the warranty period.
That is good to know; I appreciate the info.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna batteries have held up longer than a year. I think they are fairly durable but a hard drop on the floor or a swim in the tank might greatly reduce the effective life of the meter.

Fashion Falling GIF
;) :cool:

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Reefer Matt hey man, I’ve discovered that my Cal and Mag checkers are wildly off. On research this is pretty common. I’m also seeing a delta on my Hanna conductive salinity checker. I’m thinking I just need to calibrate the salinity checker, but what’s up with the Cal and Mag, is this wide spread? All my other Hanna checkers are spot on. Thoughts?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer Matt hey man, I’ve discovered that my Cal and Mag checkers are wildly off. On research this is pretty common. I’m also seeing a delta on my Hanna conductive salinity checker. I’m thinking I just need to calibrate the salinity checker, but what’s up with the Cal and Mag, is this wide spread? All my other Hanna checkers are spot on. Thoughts?
I haven't used the mag or salinity checkers yet, but I am going to get them so I know more about them. I heard they used to have a reagent issue with the mag checker, but fixed it. As for the calcium checker, it is very sensitive to error. I suggest using distilled water, and making sure to use to 1 ml instrument correctly. I have a demonstration video if you'd like to see it, but there are others on YouTube as well. It could be the checkers themselves, however, and talking with a Hanna rep may also help you further.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Hanna batteries have held up longer than a year. I think they are fairly durable but a hard drop on the floor or a swim in the tank might greatly reduce the effective life of the meter.

Fashion Falling GIF
;) :cool:
I dropped my Alkalinity tester that never worked again, but that's not a fault of Hanna. My new one I have had since they came out. I also have their test kit and and it always test within specs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back