tanks2u Red Sea Reefer 450 build

tanks2u

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2022
Messages
36
Reaction score
48
Location
Eastern PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of the hobby for 13 years and decided to get back in last July. I bought a used Red Sea Reefer 450 and I've had it setup since last July/August. I completely ignored the tank till this June (2023), basically just topping off the water and only a few water changes since last summer. I am the prime example of how not to maintain a saltwater tank. Usually, people get into the hobby and are in such a rush, they don't wait for the tank to cycle because they just want to put fish and/or corals in the tank; apparently, I'm the complete opposite. Prior to Reefapalooza (NY) this June, I had my water tested by my LFS, and everything was ok, except for the nitrates which were 200ppm. Wow! How does that even happen? Fast forward to the writing of this post, and everything is still mostly in check, with my nitrates right around 50ppm. I do have some small coral frags in the tank, but no fish just yet. The hobby has changed a lot in the 13 years of my absence, but I've learned a lot, especially in the last 6 weeks. I'm excited to be back in the hobby, and I look forward to the day my tank is stable and full of beautiful corals and fish.

Pictures to follow.

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 450 (used)
Sump: Red Sea sump included
Stand: Red Sea stand (for Reefer 450)
Controller: Neptune Apex A3 Pro
Lights: 2 x Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen5
Wavemaker: 2 x Ecotech Vortec MP40, Red Sea ReefWave 45
Return Pump: Sicce Syncra SILENT 5.0
Skimmer: Red Sea RSK-300
Heating: 2 x BRS Titanium 600w with Inkbird Controller
ATO: Red Sea ReefATO+
Rock: Approx. 60lbs live rock, plus 4 quarts Marine Pure Biofilter Media Spheres
Substrate: 60lbs CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive
Salt: Red Sea Coral Pro
 
once you're fully ready, i can cut some: green slimmer, garf bonsai, and bubble gum digitata for cheap. once i finish setting up my growout cages for my neptune bounce, and poletti jawbreaker, i can sell those too.
 
once you're fully ready, i can cut some: green slimmer, garf bonsai, and bubble gum digitata for cheap. once i finish setting up my growout cages for my neptune bounce, and poletti jawbreaker, i can sell those too.
Sounds great; thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new