Hanna Testers worth it?

laup18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone

Looking for some advice on whether it is worth replacing my salifert testers with Hanna testers. My wife got me a hanna nitrite tester for Christmas as well as 100 dollar gift card to BRS. I was thinking I could get the alkalinity and phosphate and maybe ammonia tester as well with an extra gift card I have. Is this a good plan or is it better to stick with my Salifert testers?

Thanks in advance
1fastrock
I think all the checkers are well worthy. They are accurate and you get a result in numbers right away. I do have Alkalinity, Calcium, Po and Nitrate, and I don't have to deal with colors anymore.

Last edited:

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really! The last 3 colours are the ones you will be looking at not the nice shades of blue...post back with how you get on.
I’ll give it a shot! I think the real solution here is to create a trident like product that monitors nitrate and phosphate

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost never check nitrite anymore. After tank is cycled it should always be zero, unless some catastrophic happens to harm the biological filter.

Most recommend there alk. And ulr phosphate tests. I have the calcium test and it is a bit cumbersome. I would still keep the salifert kits to double check the hannas.
I recently posted regarding this.
The Hanna phosphorus is said to be a better test compared to the Hanna phosphate
There is a little math to get your phosphate reading but more accurate test kit .
brs has a video on them .
I never test nitrite ,
Ammonia only if something catastrophic happens

Alk , Cal and mag I use salifert
I’m ordering the alk tested but might also use salifert as well

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of magnesium testing (3 x calcium measurement) I have Hanna testers for main tests. I can’t get on with the colour charts of boxed test kits - I do get my LFS to check my measurements as back up periodically. I settle down for 30 mins a couple of times a week and check things are ok. I check salinity daily (with my Hanna checker!) to ensure my wet skimming doesn’t negatively impact. I’ve always been led to believe that consistency is key rather than fretting over being 100% accurate whatever measuring format you use.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna phosphorus is said to be a better test compared to the Hanna phosphate
There is a little math to get your phosphate reading but more accurate test kit .
I read this often on this site, but when I spoke with a Hanna sales rep at the time they released the ULR Phosphate checker, I was told that the ULR Phosphorus and ULR Phosphate checkers are actually identical except the Phosphate version does the math conversion automatically and rounds the result to 2 decimal points (this is where the "accuracy" claim comes in but is really only a rounding variance). Even the reagents are identical although they have different part numbers to avoid confusion. Personally I have no need for Phosphate readings to the third decimal point as I don't chase numbers to that extent, so I am perfectly happy using the ULR Phosphate checker.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE!! my Hanna checkers. I would much rather look at #’s than colors. I use the alk, calcium, ULR phosphorus and all are easy to use. Main thing with calcium one is follow the directions once you do it a few times it gets easy. I will admit I have seen the #’s a little on the higher end but not enough to worry me because I’m still in a good range. Replacement reagents also pretty cheap. You can’t go wrong. That’s just my opinion.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back