Hanna - thoughts on doing the "double test"

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm investing more and more in Hanna. Thinking about customizing the way I do testing.

Use one vial of just tank water to zero-out the unit and the second vial being the one with the reagent + tank water.

When running a test use 1st vial to zero-out and then 2nd vial to get reading.

BUT... rerun the test with the 1st vial to zero-out but turn the both vials to a different part of the vial glass to make sure a dirty or scratched or stained vial isn't producing an inaccurate reading.

Both test runs should be almost identical in #s within reason of the reagent "time-aging" in the 2nd vial

If I get whacky readings, consider buying brand new vials. (And yes I've researched that aging vials can be way off due to scratching and staining), I believe the standard is to buy new vials in between 6mos to a year. Past a year, the vials are too stained to be accurate

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done it that way but I have heard of others who have. You probably could partially rule out vial differences by doing a test the traditional 1 vial method and then doing a test with the two vials and see if you get the same result.
Is the only advantage of using 2 vials that you can test the vial with reagent multiple times?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back