HANNA ULR PHOSPHATE READING

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening

So i purchased a hanna ulr phosphorous checker and got a result of 185 (.56ppm) how bad is this in a tank containing softies?

A tad high for the typical LPS & SPS systems. Some would say it is way high, but I have seen plenty of large old systems that look gorgeous at what most consider "high" nutrients. If the tank looks good and the softies are happy, I am not sure I would do too much different. You OK on algae growth, etc? It really depends on your goals with this system.

If the system (or microbiome) has been running at these levels for a while, you'll need to be super slow and careful about bringing levels down. Much more damage and risk comes from lowering than from raising nutrient levels.

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For comparison my softie tank reads out at 4. I have difficulty phosphates and nitrates up, though. Just add a little gfo to start bringing it down, and a water change to boot.
But like ScottB said, start really slow.

OP
OP
YandyRiv

YandyRiv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tad high for the typical LPS & SPS systems. Some would say it is way high, but I have seen plenty of large old systems that look gorgeous at what most consider "high" nutrients. If the tank looks good and the softies are happy, I am not sure I would do too much different. You OK on algae growth, etc? It really depends on your goals with this system.

If the system (or microbiome) has been running at these levels for a while, you'll need to be super slow and careful about bringing levels down. Much more damage and risk comes from lowering than from raising nutrient levels.

So far i havent had issues with algea i do 15% water change weekly i dont over feed its been phosphorus level has been like sunce ibstarted the tank last nov the corals i have which are 3 hammers 1 mushroom and some acan have not shown any signs of un happiness. I also added some gfo about a month ago but no change in the level.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna ulr phosphorus reads 13 ppb, I'm not sure where that sits in the grand scheme of things, I'm also slowly winning my battle with GHA.

13 X 3.0661 / 1000 = .04 of phosphates which many consider an ideal level

Keep testing. Your rock is a store of phosphate. This is not a bad thing but a natural thing. As the GHA subsides, don't be tempted to go below your present level. Be patient. Go slow. Keep testing.

If the GHA takes of growing again, then it will be doing a lot of the PO4 absorption and you can be a little bit more aggressive. Just go slow on PO4 removal or else I will see you in the dino thread.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13 X 3.0661 / 1000 = .04 of phosphates which many consider an ideal level

Keep testing. Your rock is a store of phosphate. This is not a bad thing but a natural thing. As the GHA subsides, don't be tempted to go below your present level. Be patient. Go slow. Keep testing.

If the GHA takes of growing again, then it will be doing a lot of the PO4 absorption and you can be a little bit more aggressive. Just go slow on PO4 removal or else I will see you in the dino thread.
Thanks for the reply, I try to keep the removal to a minimum, I do manual removal of the GHA and water change of 5 gallons a week, my tank is a 75 gallon

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I try to keep the removal to a minimum, I do manual removal of the GHA and water change of 5 gallons a week, my tank is a 75 gallon
That sounds good and won't get you in any trouble; I assumed you were using GFO. GFO is great but must be used with great care, attention, and water testing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back