Hanna ultra low range phosphate checker..!!

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try and keep my P04 from .03 to .1 max. I have a fast cheto growing refugium and run gfo as needed using a brs reactor.

OP
OP
R

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My po⁴ is hovering between .12 and. 15. Depends on my feeding. Just feed and watch your coral if it looks good keep going
Yes,since I changed the salt (AquaVitro salinity) and the phosphate it went up .67.So do you used the URL phosphate checker or phosphorus checker..??

OP
OP
R

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t what’s the difference between ulr phosphate checker and the ulr phosphorus checker.Because I have the ulr phosphate checker.

OP
OP
R

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying your phosphate went up when you changed to salinity? What was it before the salt change?
It was .03/.05 and now .67 big jump.id used Red Sea the blue bucket before.Yeah,sounds crazy..

OP
OP
R

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe they make it higher phosphate because they do have higher alk in it (10.6 alk).I made the switch because the tank right now is mostly frags and also the Ph is pretty high too which I like.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,my phosphate checker read 0.67 is that considered bad or normal..???Thanks

Have you tested it a few times possibly?

I use the phosphorous checker and it's extremely sensitive to the water fill level. I have to make very certain that the meniscus is perfectly in line with the 10ml line. If It's under that level then the reported phosphorous (phosphate in your case) levels come back at insanely high levels like the .67 you reported.

You need to really make sure you are performing that tests as cleanly and in accordance to the directions as possible or it will throw some crazy results.

That means, you wipe all finger prints off every time you test and especially after you mix the regent, your mixing process is identical every time and you aren't causing any micro-bubbles to stir up (this one will cause crazy results to be returned), you place the tube in the exact same position as you calibrated it at initially.

OP
OP
R

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested it a few times possibly?

I use the phosphorous checker and it's extremely sensitive to the water fill level. I have to make very certain that the meniscus is perfectly in line with the 10ml line. If It's under that level then the reported phosphorous (phosphate in your case) levels come back at insanely high levels like the .67 you reported.

You need to really make sure you are performing that tests as cleanly and in accordance to the directions as possible or it will throw some crazy results.

That means, you wipe all finger prints off every time you test and especially after you mix the regent, your mixing process is identical every time and you aren't causing any micro-bubbles to stir up (this one will cause crazy results to be returned), you place the tube in the exact same position as you calibrated it at initially.
Yes ,I’d tested a few times and came out exact the numbers.yes,sounds crazy and I have to test it tonight again with new water.My was a ultra low range phosphate checker,not a phosphorus I don’t know that if makes a difference.Thanks buddy

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ,I’d tested a few times and came out exact the numbers.yes,sounds crazy and I have to test it tonight again with new water.My was a ultra low range phosphate checker,not a phosphorus I don’t know that if makes a difference.Thanks buddy

Where are you filling the meniscus to?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aware that the line is only a guide, better using a quality syringe to measure 10ml

The line is a guide at the EXACT measurement of where you need to fill to. It's a lot easier and more accurate to fill to the meniscus specifically to that line than it is to fill a 10ml syringe and push it out with the air bubbles and what not. A 10ml syringe will get your meniscus to that line perfectly regardless.

The only other thing that could cause crazy high readings like a .67 are finger prints, and micro-bubbles. Not shaking the cuvette enough will show lower readings as will not mixing for a total of 2 minutes on the dot.

If his meniscus is not perfectly on the line then he needs to get it there and re-test.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The line is a guide at the EXACT measurement of where you need to fill to. It's a lot easier and more accurate to fill to the meniscus specifically to that line than it is to fill a 10ml syringe and push it out with the air bubbles and what not. A 10ml syringe will get your meniscus to that line perfectly regardless.

The only other thing that could cause crazy high readings like a .67 are finger prints, and micro-bubbles. Not shaking the cuvette enough will show lower readings as will not mixing for a total of 2 minutes on the dot.

If his meniscus is not perfectly on the line then he needs to get it there and re-test.
Ok if you say so... but the line on every vial I’ve used is inaccurate, usually 9.5ml... so is the line correct or the 10ml not important?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if you say so... but the line on every vial I’ve used is inaccurate, usually 9.5ml... so is the line correct or the 10ml not important?

This reminds me of the thread where a user was reporting something similar with a phosphorous checker. He called up Hanna and they told him to fill the meniscus to exactly the line in the vial. It's best to rely on what hanna says to do.

The second I put the menscisus smack dab on their line and stopped using a 10ml syringe I started receiving accurate results evidenced by multiple tests against standards and spot-checking my tank after dosing phosphorous.

The delta may be due to volume added from the regeant. Who knows? It's irrelevant.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back