Hannah Checker 10ml line

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just curious. Do you fill your vials to the 10ml line or actually measure out 10ml? I use a 5ml syringe to fill mine and its always 2-3mm over the line. Which should you use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just curious. Do you fill your vials to the 10ml line or actually measure out 10ml? I use a 5ml syringe to fill mine and its always 2-3mm over the line. Which should you use?

I think if you are in the right ballpark, it shouldn't matter. As long as the light path is fully underwater. there is enough reagent for more phosphate than you have, and more water just gives the same color intensity in a taller volume of water without changing what is in the light path.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you are in the right ballpark, it shouldn't matter. As long as the light path is fully underwater. there is enough reagent for more phosphate than you have, and more water just gives the same color intensity in a taller volume of water without changing what is in the light path.
you do have to use actual 10 mil to make sure you have the dilution right for the reagent.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Fill until the bottom of the meniscus touches the top of the line. You can also measure 10 mL with two 5 mL adds.

The reason that I think that there is an option is because the amount of chemical in the packets is not exactly the same. I know it does not matter for the phosphate Checker because I tested the idea that it does not matter. Best to be consistent if you cannot be accurate AND consistent.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do, do it the same every time. The markings from one vial to the other can be off, so can different syringes. Pulling two five ml samples versus one ten ml adds another chance to be off a smidge. I would recommend getting a larger syringe and use it solely for your Hanna. If you’re visually challenged or just want to simplify things, you can get an automatic pipette that you can set to ten ml and it will pull the same amount time after time.

edit. Also the line wears off the vial after awhile

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very interesting. I never knew the actual science behind how the phosphate checkers work.

I always thought more sample meant more water with more phosphates in it, which will make it seem like there’s more phosphates than what is actually in the tank.

OP
OP

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all... i have a hard time believing the tolerance on medical syringes would vary enough to throw it off. That could be catastrophic. I agree consistency is best, but thought about it and figured it would be a good conversation.

Why wouldnt they have the same amount of reagents in each pack? Some of these claims are hard to believe. Is their proof behind them? I'd also think more water would lead to lower results since the reagent is spread over a bigger volume? Very interesting things to learn.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the line is inaccurate, i use a glass pipette to get a consistent amount of water. but i feel like as long as you keep doing it using the same materials it doesnt really matter i think

Attachments

• PXL_20230302_093032117.jpg
    PXL_20230302_093032117.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 31

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the line on the vial. All the lines on all my tester vials are the same. These are hobby grade, and have a margin of error, and should be used as a guide to achieve stability, not accuracy.

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the line is inaccurate, i use a glass pipette to get a consistent amount of water. but i feel like as long as you keep doing it using the same materials it doesnt really matter i think
Interesting, you'd think for the price you pay for the Hanna's that they'd at least get the measuring line correct. I rinse the vial a couple of times and fill it to the line, I've also measured 10ml with a syringe and it's always just above the line.
I guess consistency is the key so I do it the same every time.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, is this the same for nitrate and alkalinity?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back