Hannah checkers - how much do you trust/like them?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to resort to filling two vials, one to use with the reagent and one with just the tank water to zero the unit. And, of course, getting all of the powder from the packet to the vial is difficult. As a result, I'm never quite confident in my results.

It's not as big a deal as it seems.....as was mentioned already, Hanna even says the residue left in the packet is OK. Do a good job, but remember that consistency between tests – being able to compare your own results – is always the real key for these things. Don't worry about being perfect, just be good and repeatable. :) :) :)

As for the checker, sometimes it stays on longer then 2 minutes and sometimes it shuts off exactly at 2 minutes work. I can't figure that out.

If you hold the C2 button down for several seconds it sets off a timer instead of taking an instant reading.

I'm not that concerned about perfect accuracy, so I also "dual-vial" my phosphate tests on the checker....but I am also careful about de-fingerprinting the vials. I also take several instant-read comparisons after the main to see if there's any inconsistency. I'd re-test from scratch if there was any major inconsistency.....otherwise I usually go with the first result.

Wish my vials didn't leak....other than that I like it a lot.

@RyanCSGO Calcium is a difficult test to run if you're already used to running drip tests. If you're familiar with lab gear and procedures, then it won't be as big a deal. Personally, it took me quite a bit of practice to get my test results to match 1:1 with my Salifert kit.....but I did get it. They other kits are significantly easier to use. I wish they made one for Nitrates.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they made better tubes for the reagents, it would be great! Those packets just suck
I posted about that in the Hanna sub here:
We will look into this, currently when the reagent is mixed with water the timed chemical reaction starts. This is why the Checker has a timer built in after C2 phase. We also found that having the reagent in its current state allows for maximum shelf life stability and more resistance to environmental changes which might cause inaccurate results from degrading reagent.

----------------------------------------------
I do the 2 vials method as well. One thing I do differently though, I use a microfiber cloth to wipe and handle both vials just so the clarity of the vials are almost similar. But I think I am going to start using a spoon to get the reagent out and pour into the cuvette. As for the checker, sometimes it stays on longer then 2 minutes and sometimes it shuts off exactly at 2 minutes work. I can't figure that out.
I was told not to use two cuvettes simultaneously for same-sample testing by Hanna last year when I contacted them about my ULR that would constantly give thrown readings. The explanation I got is that there can be subtle variances in the glass of each cuvette which can skew results if referencing one with tank water vs the other with the reagent mixed in.

When I started using a single cuvette from start to finish, the thrown readings went away, and I've probably done 25-30 tests since then between two tanks.

Last edited:

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk checker is great but the phosphorus checker is downright stressful to use. I've created a system where I pour the packet on to a bent card so I can quickly add to the vial. I also set the timer on my phone to go off during shaking so I have 30 seconds to wipe the vial, put it in the checker, and press the button before it times out.

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the ca and alk testers and had doubts and really didn't trust them. I spoke to their reps at ReefAPalooza and learned they made reference sets to test.

When I got home I bought their reference sets for both ca and alk...tested and they were to my surprise spot on.

If you can measure properly when adding to the sample...they're awesome.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RyanCSGO Calcium is a difficult test to run if you're already used to running drip tests. If you're familiar with lab gear and procedures, then it won't be as big a deal. Personally, it took me quite a bit of practice to get my test results to match 1:1 with my Salifert kit.....but I did get it. They other kits are significantly easier to use. I wish they made one for Nitrates.

They re-made the calcium pipette, It is much more accurate. Talking with them at RAP, They also recommend using distilled water due to rodi not having complete consistency.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My low range phosphate checker drives me nuts. I was excited to get it and figured I'd have a very precise sense of where my phosphate stands. Instead, just getting the thing to work is such a hassle that I'm not confident in my results.

The directions say to shake it for 2 minutes after adding the powder, which consistently results in the unit timing out and shutting off. Anybody else encounter this issue?

I've had to resort to filling two vials, one to use with the reagent and one with just the tank water to zero the unit. And, of course, getting all of the powder from the packet to the vial is difficult. As a result, I'm never quite confident in my results.

I had this problem the first time, because the checker has a 3 minute timeout between steps.

The solution was to prepare the packet ahead of starting the first step and to set a 3 minute timer as soon as the display shows C2. You only have 3 minutes to remove the cuvette, add the powder, shake 2 minutes, and press & hold the button to start the checkers 3 min countdown.

Here's a link to a YouTube video where I learned how to do it with only one cuvette.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the DKH tester. I will say that my red sea dkh always comes up about .5 higher then the Hanna, probably in the way i see the color change with the red sea.

OP
OP
RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
appreciate on the responses and feedback!
ordered the alk only for now, will most likely order the phos as well, seems to be that the majority vote is the Cal is just "ok", might still consider it based on how much i like the alk.

again, thanks all!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem the first time, because the checker has a 3 minute timeout between steps.

The solution was to prepare the packet ahead of starting the first step and to set a 3 minute timer as soon as the display shows C2. You only have 3 minutes to remove the cuvette, add the powder, shake 2 minutes, and press & hold the button to start the checkers 3 min countdown.

Here's a link to a YouTube video where I learned how to do it with only one cuvette.

Yeah, I watched this video before I tried and used my checker. Worked great. Cheers!

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I used the Hana calcium checker and got a reading fo 450. I used the API calcium kit and got a reading of 500???

statru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pH tester, Alk dKH, low range Phosphate & Calcium checkers. It takes a bit of getting used to the packets, but it's like anything else, practice makes perfect. I fully trust the results. When I first started using them I felt I would never get used to remembering how to use each of them, but slowly taking my time and paying close attention to what I was doing, it's become habit over time. I've compared them with 'color matching' tests by conducting simultaneous tests and found Hanna to be so much more accurate, consistent and easily read. I am waiting ever so impatiently for them to develop checkers for Nitrate and Magnesium testing. I have found that keeping the cuvettes spotless by rinsing then drying them completely with paper hankies after use helps. Also, during use I remove any exterior spots or fingerprints with a microfiber cloth as well as slowly rolling the fluid to rid the tiny bubbles that can develop from shaking the mixture of sample and powder. No false readings that way and I get much more consistent readings.

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also purchased these based on someone else recommendation and for the Phosphate and Ca tests, these make life so much simpler for sure!
Awesome! I was just thinking about getting something like this. It's in my cart! Thanks.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both the p04 and the alk Hanna, I tried the Ca long ago but it broke and I did not buy another. btw it was beyond the warranty. Of note I recently read that although the Ca instructions say to use rodi as your dilution you need to use distilled water.

ikolbaba06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ULR phosphate and ALK dkh meters. Both are easy to use in my opinion and give me good results.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My low range phosphate checker drives me nuts. I was excited to get it and figured I'd have a very precise sense of where my phosphate stands. Instead, just getting the thing to work is such a hassle that I'm not confident in my results.

The directions say to shake it for 2 minutes after adding the powder, which consistently results in the unit timing out and shutting off. Anybody else encounter this issue?

After adding the reagent and shaking for a bit hold the buttom down and it will start a 3:00 countdown. Plenty of time to finish shaking and get it into place.

Another thing i do is to mark the top of the cuvette and top of the checker with a dot using a sharpie and matching those up for zero and test. In my experience i get more consistent results doing that. No 2 cuvettes have the same optical qualities and even different spots on the same one can be different. All of which can make your result less accurate and precise.

Back