Hannah checkers - how much do you trust/like them?

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tired of matching/changing colors to assess levels
How many of you use the Hannah checkers and how much do you trust their results?
looking at the alk, cal and phos checkers, but want some opinions before spending the $$

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Red Sea Ca, Mg, and Alkalinity, but I recently purchased the Hanna dKH test kit. I like the ease of use with Hanna, but haven't purchased the other test kits. I test Alkalinity everyday or so, and sometimes use both kits to compare. Testing is really up to the tester to follow directions, period. More mistakes occur by the tester, not the kit

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is great!!! Phosphate ULR is good, but it's tough getting all the powder out of the packet sometimes. Never used CA, but hear it's horrible.

I use Salifert for CA and Mag and get pretty consistent results.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like them a lot, and trust the checkers. I would recommend the low range phosphorus checker over the phosphate checker. one gets a better and truer reading with the phosphorus checker. It takes getting used too, using the checker and make sure all the powder is in the cuvette.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also add that I test Alk way more than anything else. I try to test every few days, or at least once a week, so the Hanna checker is the way to go. I test phosphate maybe once every couple months... and honestly I've only ever used the checker. It's still bit of a hassle, but again I don't test very often. Bottom line get something that doesn't make you avoid testing...

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like them a lot, and trust the checkers. I would recommend the low range phosphorus checker over the phosphate checker. one gets a better and truer reading with the phosphorus checker. It takes getting used too, using the checker and make sure all the powder is in the cuvette.

What happens if you don't get all the powder in the cuvette? I am curious, as I have never been able to get the content of the entire pack in the cuvette. I lost at least 10-15% every time I test.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if you don't get all the powder in the cuvette? I am curious, as I have never been able to get the content of the entire pack in the cuvette. I lost at least 10-15% every time I test.

the test will be off. This micro spoon gets it all out link

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Red Sea for everything and still do except I switched to the Hanna Alk ppm and the ULR phosphorus. They are faster and easier to use and I trust them. Because it's so fast I check alk daily and phosphate Saturday and Wednesday.

For the powder packet I fold into a triangle and rip along the dotted line then unfold so it looks like this picture. Most everything 99% goes into the cuvette with a little tapping in the packet.

IMG_2819.JPG

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have watched a video on YouTube showing how to use the checker. It said not getting all powder out is not a problem. Some residue on the surface is okay.
good to know, I do wish they would give us a spoon and a vile, that would make the test over the top:)

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the hanna ULR checker had a liquid reagent but I still like theirs the best. I have never ever ever has any other po4 checker register anything so other than the ULR, they are all junk. I have tried 4 different brands and the final result is clear water, not a hint of blue. Hannah consistently shows 0.04. I honestly don't even know if there is a benefit testing for po4...so much back and forth about what's in the water column vs what the algae is already consuming etc.

These mini funnels will help getting powder into the vial: https://www.amazon.com/SPHTOEO-Plastic-Transparent-Funnels-Containers/dp/B071HXWZ7T

I am putting all my faith into their alk checker, it's just so easy to use.

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My low range phosphate checker drives me nuts. I was excited to get it and figured I'd have a very precise sense of where my phosphate stands. Instead, just getting the thing to work is such a hassle that I'm not confident in my results.

The directions say to shake it for 2 minutes after adding the powder, which consistently results in the unit timing out and shutting off. Anybody else encounter this issue?

I've had to resort to filling two vials, one to use with the reagent and one with just the tank water to zero the unit. And, of course, getting all of the powder from the packet to the vial is difficult. As a result, I'm never quite confident in my results.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My low range phosphate checker drives me nuts. I was excited to get it and figured I'd have a very precise sense of where my phosphate stands. Instead, just getting the thing to work is such a hassle that I'm not confident in my results.

The directions say to shake it for 2 minutes after adding the powder, which consistently results in the unit timing out and shutting off. Anybody else encounter this issue?

I've had to resort to filling two vials, one to use with the reagent and one with just the tank water to zero the unit. And, of course, getting all of the powder from the packet to the vial is difficult. As a result, I'm never quite confident in my results.
I do the 2 vials method as well. One thing I do differently though, I use a microfiber cloth to wipe and handle both vials just so the clarity of the vials are almost similar. But I think I am going to start using a spoon to get the reagent out and pour into the cuvette. As for the checker, sometimes it stays on longer then 2 minutes and sometimes it shuts off exactly at 2 minutes work. I can't figure that out.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tired of matching/changing colors to assess levels
How many of you use the Hannah checkers and how much do you trust their results?
looking at the alk, cal and phos checkers, but want some opinions before spending the $$

The Hanna ALK/dKH Checker and the ULR Phosphorus Checker are, as far as I am concerned, not just better than others but REQUIRED basic equipment for anyone with an SPS system.

I used my dKH Checker nearly every single day! Quick, cheap refills, easy, and spot on results EVERY time.

Get them.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back