Hannah Instruments Checker

Andrewrckt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am starting to justify the Hannah Checkers. I have a very hard time discerning color shades and have to have my wife verify my readings using the Red Sea water parameter check. Because I can’t figure out the shades myself a colorimeter seems like a great option.

I want to start slowly by buying these. If you were to buy one today, which parameter would you be most interested in? I have a 20g Red Sea max nano tank and starting my corals. I am thinking Alk would be the first one to buy but interested hearing others thoughts.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would get the alkalinity tester first. Easy and quick to use. Then maybe the phosphate tester next.
I agree with capted. Get the alkalinity and then either the Phosphate or Phosphorous ULR.
The nitrate tester procedure is a pain, but I use because I have the same issue with seeing color gradients and even some color changes.
The calcium tester gets a bad rap as not being accurate. However, I have found that by ensuring I wipe the tip of the saltwater syringe to avoid introducing extra saltwater to the test, I get consistent results.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Alk first for sure. ULR Phosphorus (HI736)---not the ULR Phosphate---next because it's the only thing I've found that can give you a low range phosphate reading that you can trust. Next for me would be Ca. I have the Hanna nitrate checker too, but it's less important to be super accurate with NO3. I think the Salifert NO3 test works fine and I like that you can read top for direct reading and side for 10X reading. If you do a lot of quarantining, the Hanna copper checker is really useful. I find all the other copper tests to be both inaccurate and imprecise---and hard to read. It's so important to get the copper level right that I decided to get the hanna checker despite the price. Of course, I say "despite the price" about twice a day regarding this hobby.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get why people love the alk checker. It's fast, easy and accurate but so is every other brand. Alk is literally the only parameter where this is true. Now the Phosphate ULR heck yes. I have to imagine people get the alk tester because it is the most important parameter to test frequently, but the reagent costs add up. $9 for 25 Hanna tests vs $15 for 100 Salifert. I mean go with what you're confident with the results, but for me at least give me any of the alk kits from the top brands and I'm happy.

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get why people love the alk checker. It's fast, easy and accurate but so is every other brand. Alk is literally the only parameter where this is true. Now the Phosphate ULR heck yes. I have to imagine people get the alk tester because it is the most important parameter to test frequently, but the reagent costs add up. $9 for 25 Hanna tests vs $15 for 100 Salifert. I mean go with what you're confident with the results, but for me at least give me any of the alk kits from the top brands and I'm happy.
You are probably correct about the reagents cost but for me the hanna alk just makes my life easier. I do titration for calcium, magnesium, nitrate and some others. My arm gets tired after awhile. HA!!! Plus I have a 5000 gallon pond and a 15000 gallon pool. And I do like the salifert kitsch, those are my back up checks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a particular brand or instrument you would recommend for this?

No, just pointing out that Hanna is a newcomer to the conductivity game, and doesn't provide anything unique.

I use a like a used Orion Model 128, which can be had on ebay sometimes. Mine has a 4 electrode probe and can be used from RO/DI to limewater/kalkwasser to salinity, with a faster temperature correction than the Pinpoint that I also used.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just pointing out that Hanna is a newcomer to the conductivity game, and doesn't provide anything unique.

I use a like a used Orion Model 128, which can be had on ebay sometimes. Mine has a 4 electrode probe and can be used from RO/DI to limewater/kalkwasser to salinity, with a faster temperature correction than the Pinpoint that I also used.
Thanks for the response Randy. I appreciate your knowledge and experience, especially when dealing with the accuracy and precision of instruments.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am partially color-blind (mostly to blues, greens, purples) which assisted in my decision. I started with Calcium, Alk and Phosphate ULR, then added pH and Nitrate (by far the hardest one to use). I test weekly and after my Sunday testing all the parts get rinsed in tap water, followed by a vinegar/RO-DI rinse then a quick soak in straight RO/DI then off to the drying rack to ensure everything is completely dry before storage. I wipe the cuvettes with a microfiber cloth before insertion into the meters to ensure no fingerprints.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am partially color-blind (mostly to blues, greens, purples) which assisted in my decision. I started with Calcium, Alk and Phosphate ULR, then added pH and Nitrate (by far the hardest one to use). I test weekly and after my Sunday testing all the parts get rinsed in tap water, followed by a vinegar/RO-DI rinse then a quick soak in straight RO/DI then off to the drying rack to ensure everything is completely dry before storage. I wipe the cuvettes with a microfiber cloth before insertion into the meters to ensure no fingerprints.
I waffled on getting Hanna checkers for a long time because of the cost and had to have my wife help with testing. One night she was writing down what test kits I had. A few days later, the alk, calcium, and phosphorous tester showed up at the door. She never liked helping with the testing, but knew I couldn't do it with my color-blindness. She bought the nitrate checker for me as well when it became available.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waffled on getting Hanna checkers for a long time because of the cost and had to have my wife help with testing. One night she was writing down what test kits I had. A few days later, the alk, calcium, and phosphorous tester showed up at the door. She never liked helping with the testing, but knew I couldn't do it with my color-blindness. She bought the nitrate checker for me as well when it became available.
My wife doesn't know I have a tank.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Andrewrckt you’re probably seeing the pattern here. But just to pile on I purchased the Hannas in the following order. Salinity (98319), Alk (772), ULR phosphorous (736). For nitrates I’m using NYOS as I think the colors are easier to read. Ca and Mg I’m using Salifert. My next Hanna might be the high range nitrate but I want to see what people think first

OP
OP
A

Andrewrckt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is a general trend. I already have the salinity checker and so far it has worked great. I took the advice above about the Alk because that one is easy to tell when color changes and went with the ULR Phosphorous next. I may do the Alk if I struggle with the titration color change, but so far blue to green and dont go to yellow seems okay for my eyes.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For po4 i went with the newer hi774 and recommend it. I also have a alk, copper, and salinity checker.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to have my husband verify what I thought were the results and so many times I was off that I bit the bullet and bought the Hannas. It started out as his tank but it seems that it is mine now. He chips in a big ticket items (just bought the roller mat) but the day to day maintenance and servicing is all me, testing, sorting out dosing, water changes, etc.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy is being diplomatic about it but the Hanna Salinity Checker has a known issue whereby it works fine reading salinity for fresh made saltwater but on some peoples aquariums it reads .03ppt low. Not that refractometers are bulletproof, but no one should rely solely on the Hanna Checker to maintain salinity.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back