Hard decision, but I think the right thing

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been the the hobby since 1998, and until last month, still had my original ocellaris clown, who was over 25 years old. Over the long Labor Day weekend, the GFI outlet on my 75g main tank tripped and i came home 4 days later to a total loss. Since the house power did not go out, and my Apex is so unreliable for staying connected, I did not know until I walked in the door.

due to further travel followed by illness, the only maintenance that occured since then was removing dead livestock, a couple of 12g waterchanges and aggressive cleaning of about half the rock and removing substrate in that half of tank.

I atarted trying to clean the other side of the tank last night and realized having done so little in almost 2 months and struggling to find time to even do that, the Right decision is to break down the tank.

between a demanding job and many time consuming hobbies (sailing alone has me has me away for 3 day weekends about every other weekend from AprIO through October, plus other leisure and business travel, I feels irresponsible to restart the aquarium knowing I just don’t have the time to maintain it. And to me getting a fish is the start of a long term commitment. It’s not just making time over the next few months, but for years and years in the future (I have had several fish for over a decade).

I am having a very hard time being at peace with this decisio. It feels like giving up, or losing part of my identity as a reefkeeper. I could use some moral support from others who have been here (they probably aren’t on this forum anymore though).

I do still have a lower tech 30g with a single spotcintus clown and a few corals, so not totally out, but there is a big gaping hole in my living room that feels like a failure.

kim

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the break and once things settle down, start anew.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been the the hobby since 1998, and until last month, still had my original ocellaris clown, who was over 25 years old. Over the long Labor Day weekend, the GFI outlet on my 75g main tank tripped and i came home 4 days later to a total loss. Since the house power did not go out, and my Apex is so unreliable for staying connected, I did not know until I walked in the door.

due to further travel followed by illness, the only maintenance that occured since then was removing dead livestock, a couple of 12g waterchanges and aggressive cleaning of about half the rock and removing substrate in that half of tank.

I atarted trying to clean the other side of the tank last night and realized having done so little in almost 2 months and struggling to find time to even do that, the Right decision is to break down the tank.

between a demanding job and many time consuming hobbies (sailing alone has me has me away for 3 day weekends about every other weekend from AprIO through October, plus other leisure and business travel, I feels irresponsible to restart the aquarium knowing I just don’t have the time to maintain it. And to me getting a fish is the start of a long term commitment. It’s not just making time over the next few months, but for years and years in the future (I have had several fish for over a decade).

I am having a very hard time being at peace with this decisio. It feels like giving up, or losing part of my identity as a reefkeeper. I could use some moral support from others who have been here (they probably aren’t on this forum anymore though).

I do still have a lower tech 30g with a single spotcintus clown and a few corals, so not totally out, but there is a big gaping hole in my living room that feels like a failure.

kim
I went through this with my freshwater fish. When my last fish (goldfish that I had from first grade clear to college) died I took the tank down and felt the same way. Took about 7 years then I started saltwater. Life happens and as much as it sucks sometimes taking the tank down was the right choice. When your situation changes then you can come back into it or flip to freshwater! I was heartbroken because I felt like me getting a job and college was what killed my goldfish who I had a childhood attachment too was failure but in reality looking back I did the best I could and getting rid of my tank was the best thing for me at the time. Hope this helps friend and maybe in a few years life will calm down and you can get back in!

OP
OP
S

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Littlefoxx - your goldfish story was what I needed. Most people just don’t get it. They don’t understand having an emotional attachment to a fish you have had half of your life And think “it’s just a fish”.
I’m continuing dismantling with A less heavy heart.
it still sucks

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Littlefoxx - your goldfish story was what I needed. Most people just don’t get it. They don’t understand having an emotional attachment to a fish you have had half of your life And think “it’s just a fish”.
I’m continuing dismantling with A less heavy heart.
it still sucks
Never just a fish, its a family member! Swimmy, my goldfish (yes great name but I was a kid lol) is the reason I got back into it after my schedule changed and life settled down a few years later! The way I bonded with Swimmy was unlike anything I ever thought possible with a fish. You will get there some day where you will either want to get back in and have another tank or you wont. Either way is completely okay because your clownfish will be swimming in the big fishbowl in the sky and telling the other fish what a great time she had in your care! To me this just speaks to the care and love you showed your fish over the years and I really believe they feel this love from their keepers. Im here is you need anything, I know this is a hard choice to make but if you know deep down youre doing the right thing then you are. Doing the right thing always is the hardest and I applaud you for that! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back