hardware acquired...and it begins

smy168

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been planning a Nano for some time now, and decided on a IM Nuvo 16 but didn't like the stock lighting so I decided to upgrade a little. Planning on keeping some SPS, LPS and Clams with no fish....here you go..

Tank with stock lights
IMG_20121230_013038_547_zps04af2ec9.jpg

the Maxspect Razor 120W
max1_zpsb43cf9fa.jpg

Great Packaging
max2_zps23e35676.jpg

max3_zps3d2bebb5.jpg

max4_zps9bbdd93a.jpg

Thin...yeah, that's all I can say...Thin
max5_zps4b77bdc6.jpg

Blue, White and Lights!
maxwhite_zps88c4bb82.jpg

maxblue_zpsc2f0afe2.jpg

and there it is....

Temp Control
TrueTemp_zpsfaeab698.jpg

Water Flow
MP10_zps933eea37.jpg

HOB Fuge w/18w LED Lights
Finnex_zps99347562.jpg

Skimming
SkimMate_zpsb72a2163.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been planning a Nano for some time now, and decided on a IM Nuvo 16 but didn't like the stock lighting so I decided to upgrade a little. Planning on keeping some SPS, LPS and Clams with no fish....here you go..

Tank with stock lights
the Maxspect Razor 120W
Great Packaging
Thin...yeah, that's all I can say...Thin
Blue, White and Lights!
and there it is....
Temp Control
Water Flow
HOB Fuge w/18w LED Lights
Skimming

Wow that is going to be a nice set-up ... real great high end stuff you got there and I like that heater controller so you don't cook the tank :)

OP
OP
smy168

smy168

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:
the current tank has some sealing issues from the display to the filtration since IM uses acrylic as a separator. After a 3 day dialogue with IM they are shipping me the next gen. model where they are using a glass separator between the display and filtration. Great company, they didn't bat an eye to offer a fix.

Will be starting to make water in the next couple days (painting the apartment), will update with pics as the tank starts taking shape.

Will be going for a minimalist look rather than the rock wall. I noticed when I go reef diving that the average reef doesn't consist of wall but rather clusters...wanted to give it a try.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see this tank evolve! Sweet looking light. :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:
the current tank has some sealing issues from the display to the filtration since IM uses acrylic as a separator. After a 3 day dialogue with IM they are shipping me the next gen. model where they are using a glass separator between the display and filtration. Great company, they didn't bat an eye to offer a fix.

Will be starting to make water in the next couple days (painting the apartment), will update with pics as the tank starts taking shape.

Will be going for a minimalist look rather than the rock wall. I noticed when I go reef diving that the average reef doesn't consist of wall but rather clusters...wanted to give it a try.

Pity about what happened but at at least the are replacing it ... good cust. service I say.

Look forward to seeing the new iteration of it.

OP
OP
smy168

smy168

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**update**
So the replacement Nuvo 16 has arrived and I'm 90% ready to get things going, here are some update pics!

Full Tank
Front_zpsf7ea5c22.jpg

Breeder Fuge w/ LED lights Top view of filtration
Fuge_zps3348eea9.jpg

White Lights only
wht_zps713471bd.jpg

Blue Lights only
Blue_zps1079054a.jpg

Both Lights
WBl_zps654cd613.jpg

Fuge Set up is a Finnex HOB w/ 22watt LED Wht/Blue, it may be too much but if it is, I'll move it to the first bidder!

Breeder Box
FugeBox_zps8849267a.jpg

Picture is pretty bad but I drilled additional downward holes into the spray bar to allow water flow through the fuge, and running it with a cheap 120gph mini ph.
FugePump_zps477952e4.jpg

I know, those are probably way too many LEDs, we'll see though
FugeLt1_zps68b8afc7.jpg

Thanks for peeping!

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im subscribed, you are definitley starting off.on the right foot here with all this top notch stuff.
I cant wait to see how the maxspect does, dont they use warm white leds instead of cool white leds?
May be a different fixture im thinking of.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice and when all put together that is going to be some real nice set up for sure. Like that fuge ... nice size

OP
OP
smy168

smy168

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM had sealing issues from the display to the acrylic, they resolved this by adding a sheet of glass on the filtration side of the acrylic. Here's the best pic I could take.

glass_zps9b3cbad2.jpg

At this point, I would recommend this to anyone looking to build a nano.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM had sealing issues from the display to the acrylic, they resolved this by adding a sheet of glass on the filtration side of the acrylic. Here's the best pic I could take.
At this point, I would recommend this to anyone looking to build a nano.

Not saying that this will not work so this FWIW but gluing glass to acrylic is not that easy and sometimes does not hold up for the long term so I would keep an eye on it but as I said this is based on personal experience as I used ti manufacture tanks and found out that acrylic and glass to not glue together well but it depends on what glue they used. If they used silicone keep an eye on it .. if they used GOOP it should be OK IME ... that is what we had to use in the end.

I even found a special glue to seal glass to aluminum but it was a very specialized one from a company called Rhone Poulenc. Again the remark is FWIW

jtgordon20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great start. You have some great pieces of equipment. Can't wait to see how the Finnex performs as a fuge.
Keep us updated!

OP
OP
smy168

smy168

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it finally begins...water and rock

So after being busy, I'm not so busy anymore so I decided to start the system.

20lbs of LS and 12lbs of LR, I won't be running the Finnex for about 30 days. LR/LS is from my LFS and really inexpensive (tough to find in NYC).

Here are the Storm Cloud pics, will be updating as it clears!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it finally begins...water and rock

So after being busy, I'm not so busy anymore so I decided to start the system.

20lbs of LS and 12lbs of LR, I won't be running the Finnex for about 30 days. LR/LS is from my LFS and really inexpensive (tough to find in NYC).

Here are the Storm Cloud pics, will be updating as it clears!

Nice start .... and yes that should clear up fairly rapidly ... I like !

Back