Hardwired apex classic disconnecting recently

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My apex classic was running smoothly for a year+ after buying it off a guy on r2r. But suddenly its constantly disconnecting. First I thought the ethernet cable went bad so I changed it and it seemed to work well for a while but now its doing this:
IMG_1793.PNG

Any thoughts? Could my extender be bad or is the apex starting to go bad. It has a green light and when I plug in the ethernet you can see the green light turn on on the left of the ethernet port so it acknowledges that it is there. Any help is appreciated!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first try rebooting the Internet router. If that doesn't resolve it, then reboot the extender. If still having problems, I'd run a couple of continuous pings from a computer on the network to see if the 1) packets to the Internet are dropped, or 2) packets to the Apex are dropped.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had this issue as well, with a netgear extender. I had to go through the entire setup process of the extender again and reconnect it to the wifi. Afterwards, everything worked perfectly fine again

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex disconnected a lot because I was using an old router as a switch because i didn't have enough ports on my router. Turned out it couldn't handle the speed and i had to upgrade to a faster switch. May not help but just my experience.

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first try rebooting the Internet router. If that doesn't resolve it, then reboot the extender. If still having problems, I'd run a couple of continuous pings from a computer on the network to see if the 1) packets to the Internet are dropped, or 2) packets to the Apex are dropped.
Tried the rebooting and it didn’t work. Then I can’t even see how many packets are lost because the extender won’t even recognize something is plugged in. But when I plugged in my reef link with the same cord as I’ve been using with the apex and it was recognized and I could see it on the control board for the extender unlike when the apex is plugged in. So I’m worried it’s the apex...any more advice?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the rebooting and it didn’t work. Then I can’t even see how many packets are lost because the extender won’t even recognize something is plugged in. But when I plugged in my reef link with the same cord as I’ve been using with the apex and it was recognized and I could see it on the control board for the extender unlike when the apex is plugged in. So I’m worried it’s the apex...any more advice?

Do you have a long enough network cable to connect the Apex directly to the router to test, bypassing the extender?

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it will help or not but there is a newer AOS version for the classic (4.53_4D19) available on Neptune’s website.

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on the classics are done through your local network. Check out the instructions on their website.

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on the classics are done through your local network. Check out the instructions on their website.
According to their instructions it has to be hardwired in to something and my apex is connected currently to a wifi extender with a ethernet port and has been for a year but that wont connect via that route anymore which is what sparked this post...should I try to disconnect everything from the apex, move just the apex and connect it directly to my router to see if that works so I could update it?

OP
OP
clown and friends

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I went about and hard reset absolutely everything except the apex and finally got it to connect again with my extender magically. Did the firmware update, hopefully no more issues!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back