Hardy Reef Safe Fish for Aiptasia Control?

todda5914

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a file fish in 40 gallon to help with Aptasia. Ate all my Xenia then ignored the Aptasia. Ended up getting enough nudibranchs to reproduce. That worked.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a file fish in 40 gallon to help with Aptasia. Ate all my Xenia then ignored the Aptasia. Ended up getting enough nudibranchs to reproduce. That worked.

lol hope that doesn’t happen to me and he eats just Aptasia the fish store I got him from said he was eating mysis shrimp

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No personal experience since my CBB took care of the problem but I'm a member of a fairly good sized reef club and a bunch of members have tried them. Just my impression is that they are comparable with the CBB as far as reef safeness but as noted above hit or miss as to whether they eat aiptasia.

dirtdobber06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow wrasse will eat the baby nudibranches and they won't be able to reach the numbers needed to rid the aiptasia. I am raising the nudibranches in a different tank and am planning on trapping the yellow wrasse and temporarily putting him in a fuge.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow wrasse will eat the baby nudibranches and they won't be able to reach the numbers needed to rid the aiptasia. I am raising the nudibranches in a different tank and am planning on trapping the yellow wrasse and temporarily putting him in a fuge.

I really enjoy Wrasses but they can be really good hunters in the reef. I ended up going with a matted file fish and so far it hasn’t really eaten the Aptasia it’s been about a month now some say it takes a long time and they will eventually eat it. I have been treating still with Aptasia X

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No personal experience since my CBB took care of the problem but I'm a member of a fairly good sized reef club and a bunch of members have tried them. Just my impression is that they are comparable with the CBB as far as reef safeness but as noted above hit or miss as to whether they eat aiptasia.

What is CBB? Still getting used to abbreviations. [emoji5]

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
41c3217abafff093d40b9b5562c4e523.jpg

pic of my filefish

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone ended up getting a matted Aptasia eating file fish let’s see how this goes with my Softies and Zoas
fb4413adee9702fa2a210f98392ce975.jpg

I got one and he Loved aptasia. Unfortunately he loved my plates, hammer and frog spawn (anything with flowing tentacles). He left my Zoas, candy cane and brain alone. That was until..... DUH , Duh, Duhhhhhh....he ate
My alveopora flower pot. Didn’t realize it was him till to late and I saw him chowing down on my Zoas. Figured it was now a free for all and now he’s in the Fuge.

Mallycious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just came across this thread. Has anyone looked at Scat's for Aiptasia control? I've heard they are reef safe and do well with eating Aiptasia

Here is a current article in Reef Hobbyist magazine on it.
http://reefhobbyistmagazine.com/
See page 12 of the Q3 2018 issue
Interesting article and worth a read. Apparently the author purchased a freshwater scat, acclimated it via drip to saltwater, and then watched it eat all the Aiptasia but leave corrals alone. We just identified the very first, tiny glass anemone growing in our tank, so we're weighing our options: peppermint shrimp, nudibranch, or scat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back