Hardy Reef Safe Fish for Aiptasia Control?

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, looking for a hardy and reef safe fish for dealing with aptasia? I tried peppermints but not sure what happened to them. Not sure if my yellow tang, melanarus wrasse or blue side wrasse ate them? BUT I am having trouble with Aptasia but fish needs to be hardy and reef safe. Thanks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure my blue pigmy dwarf angel is taking care of my Aptasia.

He is the bully of the tank full of peaceful fish though.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it harm your corals? they say it eats LPS and clam mantles
I have no clams in that tank. I do have a huge bubble coral it pokes from time to time w no damage. I also have a large candy cane and frogspawn I have never seen it molest. Gsp Xenia dendro and sun corals as well.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper banded butterfly fish, but there is indeed a chance that they may nip coral. Mine doesn't bother anything. I know other friends with them that don't bother anything, but there is always the chance.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper banded butterfly fish, but there is indeed a chance that they may nip coral. Mine doesn't bother anything. I know other friends with them that don't bother anything, but there is always the chance.

what corals do they nip at and are they hardy

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what corals do they nip at and are they hardy

My experiences with them is that they do not bother any coral. As Saltyfilmfolk said it pokes his bubble coral but doesn't do any harm. The biggest concern would be clams and wells/trachy types. I have them in my home tanks, the coral tanks at the store where I work and in tanks that the store maintains. They are usually good, but to be fair there is some risk.

They are hardy once they eat. The biggest problem is getting them to initially eat when they come into the retail market prior to customer purchase. Usually once they are eating they can easily be transitioned to other foods. We use live black worms to trigger feeding response and then ween them onto Larry's Frozen Foods. As a hobbyist I would probably just buy one from a store after they show me it eating frozen food.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes after it ate the aptasia the first it died, then the pest came back bought another copperband ate the aptasia again and didn't want to eat anything after that

they’re hard to eaters after they eat aptasia? Just don’t want them to turn to my Softies and LPS

jozekgawlak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences with them is that they do not bother any coral. As Saltyfilmfolk said it pokes his bubble coral but doesn't do any harm. The biggest concern would be clams and wells/trachy types. I have them in my home tanks, the coral tanks at the store where I work and in tanks that the store maintains. They are usually good, but to be fair there is some risk.

They are hardy once they eat. The biggest problem is getting them to initially eat when they come into the retail market prior to customer purchase. Usually once they are eating they can easily be transitioned to other foods. We use live black worms to trigger feeding response and then ween them onto Larry's Frozen Foods. As a hobbyist I would probably just buy one from a store after they show me it eating frozen food.

That was the reason mine kept dying it never wanted to eat anything I fed it.. never nipped at my corals either..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back