Harlequin Shrimp compatibility AND

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO, I have purchased a 75 gallon tank back in Dec 2018 and came with a whole bunch of problems. GHA, Oversized Leathers, poorly working equipment, etc. I have mitigated a lot of them but have a recent problem. Asterina starfish outbreak.... and am considering getting a Harlequin.

I need to know a couple things if anyone knows the answers.

1. Will Harlequins be compatible with other shrimp? Fire or Blood shrimp in particular.. a big one.
2. I read there is an artificial food they might eat.. Does anyone have a handle on what this is and if it actually works?
3. I have a Yellow Coris wrasse, about 2 inches, will this particular wrasse be a problem?.. I am not looking for generalities here, looking for some direct experience with this wrasse.

Last edited:

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. your tank is large enough that the harlequin and lysmata will keep to themselves.

2. interesting! where did you read this? this is new to me. (i have a pair of harlequins myself).

3. i don’t own a yellow coris wrasse but he’s on my shortlist of fish stock ... if he’s not bothering the blood shrimp, i wouldn’t expect him to go after the harlequin either.

i’ve read elsewhere on R2R that nardoa starfish will eat asterina stars but i have no experience keeping nardoas or how hardy they are. benefit: they are not obligate starfish-eaters, and i believe they are reefsafe.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/3/gallery

OP
OP
Anchor

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. your tank is large enough that the harlequin and lysmata will keep to themselves.

2. interesting! where did you read this? this is new to me. (i have a pair of harlequins myself).

3. i don’t own a yellow coris wrasse but he’s on my shortlist of fish stock ... if he’s not bothering the blood shrimp, i wouldn’t expect him to go after the harlequin either.

i’ve read elsewhere on R2R that nardoa starfish will eat asterina stars but i have no experience keeping nardoas or how hardy they are. benefit: they are not obligate starfish-eaters, and i believe they are reefsafe.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/3/gallery

I read another harlequin post that someone got an unmarked bag of some dry substance. .added a couple drops of water and roll into ball and his shrimp went right after it.. This post

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/harlequin-shrimp-help.612672/

Sent a convo to the poster of that reply to see if I can get and answer

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back