Harlequin Shrimp Feeding?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear as others have stated they can't be kept without regular large starfish feedings, such as Asterinas are only a 'snack', or not enough nutrition.

I disagree on that. in that one year I've only fed one chocolate to it. Harlie's gone a week with no starfish.
I doubt they find starfish to eat non stop in the wild. and I'm not aware of any nutritional studies on starfish as shrimp food.
:cool:

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree on that. in that one year I've only fed one chocolate it. Harlie's gone a week with no starfish.
I doubt they find starfish to eat non stop in the wild.
Glad you are able to keep your's alive long-term - and is proof they don't need to live on store-bought starfish.
I agree in the wild there are many factors when we think about the food available to our critters, and not enough research has been done to prove the anecdotal 'stuff' we read on forums.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree on that. in that one year I've only fed one chocolate to it. Harlie's gone a week with no starfish.
I doubt they find starfish to eat non stop in the wild. and I'm not aware of any nutritional studies on starfish as shrimp food.
:cool:

There are unlimited supply of starfish in the ocean. They eat starfish, doesn't have to be a CC starfish. what do you feed him?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I put a pair in a while back. I have a great video of them working together to drag a big star to their den. Kinda brutal. But I knew that but Star wasn’t gonna make it and that was the price for getting rid of the asterina.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of reefers keeping a few cc in the sump and just breaking off a leg here n there to feed the shrimp. The arms of the cc grow back. You get more then one to give them time to regrow

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of reefers keeping a few cc in the sump and just breaking off a leg here n there to feed the shrimp. The arms of the cc grow back. You get more then one to give them time to regrow
the cc have to be separated tho

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sexy shrimp look similar and do not need such a special diet.

AB5B3C18-8130-4583-99C4-0FE96AB770BB.jpeg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always would put sand sifting stars in my tank never had an issue. But it does get expensive.
I’m getting ready to buy a starfish because my harlequin cleaned out all the asterinas. My tank is 40g so a sand sifter seems like a better choice because it’s smaller. Any other advice you could offer? Should I put the s/f in the DT upside down or will my one shrimp be able to manage flipping it over?

Blknovass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to buy a starfish because my harlequin cleaned out all the asterinas. My tank is 40g so a sand sifter seems like a better choice because it’s smaller. Any other advice you could offer? Should I put the s/f in the DT upside down or will my one shrimp be able to manage flipping it over?
The shrimp is a great hunter and will find him. I have heard people with a sump keeping chocolate chip stars and cutting off an leg once a week. Sorry to say I was never cold enough to do that.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp is a great hunter and will find him. I have heard people with a sump keeping chocolate chip stars and cutting off an leg once a week. Sorry to say I was never cold enough to do that.
I’m with you on that one. Plus the sand sifting ones won’t bother my coral. How long does it take a shrimp to eat a sand sifter?

Blknovass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with you on that one. Plus the sand sifting ones won’t bother my coral. How long does it take a shrimp to eat a sand sifter?
I bought new ones only when I saw the shrimp on the hunt. Maybe one every 3 weeks give or take a few days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back