Harvesting Copepods from an Algae Scrubber

Jake Martensen

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2016
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, I have an algae scrubber. Every week or two I take out the screen and cut off 90% of the algae. This yields at least a quart size baggie of algae loaded with copepods. I toss the algae in the trash but I hate losing all the pods that I could be putting in my tank. Anyone have a suggestion of how to harvest the copepods from the mass of algae before I toss it in the trash? I have put it in a pasta strainer in a bowl of tank water and swished it around and gotten a fair amount of pods but was wondering if others had suggestions. Thanks!!
 
I get the same. Simply immerse the screen and agitate in in a shallow pan and poor thru a net over toilet and release the captured pods back to sump
 
Amphipods or Copepods? What are they eating, decaying algae? Hardly ever saw anything apart from healthy algae on my waterfall.
 
How big is your tank? If it's a large tank I wouldn't really be concerned too much as your set up is easily sustaining a population if they are there every time you clean the scrubber.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new