Harvesting Copepods from an Algae Scrubber

Jake Martensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, I have an algae scrubber. Every week or two I take out the screen and cut off 90% of the algae. This yields at least a quart size baggie of algae loaded with copepods. I toss the algae in the trash but I hate losing all the pods that I could be putting in my tank. Anyone have a suggestion of how to harvest the copepods from the mass of algae before I toss it in the trash? I have put it in a pasta strainer in a bowl of tank water and swished it around and gotten a fair amount of pods but was wondering if others had suggestions. Thanks!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I get the same. Simply immerse the screen and agitate in in a shallow pan and poor thru a net over toilet and release the captured pods back to sump

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods or Copepods? What are they eating, decaying algae? Hardly ever saw anything apart from healthy algae on my waterfall.

afboundguy

acanaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? If it's a large tank I wouldn't really be concerned too much as your set up is easily sustaining a population if they are there every time you clean the scrubber.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back