Has any one had experience with Niger triggers or any triggerfish

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that every Niger I've had at some point goes through a period of adolescent aggression. Doesn't matter how much you feed them, no matter what you feed them. They especially like to suddenly turn on clownfish and chase them down. They will pursue much larger fish like a full grown Diamond Goby or anyone else that isn't a fast swimmer.
IMO if you can get past the adolescent stage that lasts 6-8 months, the more mature Niger will again focus on their regular food sources. Which many comments above are right about that needing to be a meatier diet that's targeted for carnivores. Those fangs are not there just for show.

I should add that Nigers are not "tamed" by a full belly. It's predator curiosity pure and simple. You can feed them until they are about to pop and they will still chase that one fish, kill it and leave the bulk of the carcass for you.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasionally a trigger will go rogue but not often. Are you feeding him enough, triggers like food. I have 8 triggers in my "predator reef tank" along with a Japanese dragon eel, and other characters and they all get along. Here's a vid

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasionally a trigger will go rogue but not often. Are you feeding him enough, triggers like food. I have 8 triggers in my "predator reef tank" along with a Japanese dragon eel, and other characters and they all get along. Here's a vid

I love your tank but what I’m talking about about is small fish he doesn’t attack fish his size but he attacks fish smaller than him

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that every Niger I've had at some point goes through a period of adolescent aggression. Doesn't matter how much you feed them, no matter what you feed them. They especially like to suddenly turn on clownfish and chase them down. They will pursue much larger fish like a full grown Diamond Goby or anyone else that isn't a fast swimmer.
IMO if you can get past the adolescent stage that lasts 6-8 months, the more mature Niger will again focus on their regular food sources. Which many comments above are right about that needing to be a meatier diet that's targeted for carnivores. Those fangs are not there just for show.

I should add that Nigers are not "tamed" by a full belly. It's predator curiosity pure and simple. You can feed them until they are about to pop and they will still chase that one fish, kill it and leave the bulk of the carcass for you.
Ok thanks I’ll take that into consideration

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back