Has anyone else had issue with orders from Clammania?

Davehla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I found an Instagram account names clam mania and bought a clam during one of their live sales. I spend $99 plus $20 shipping in a 1.5 inch blue maxima. When my package arrived there were three clams in the package and none of them being the clam I chose in the live sale.

I let the owner know and he said I could keep the two extra clams for $50 more dollars. I could have told him he could come pick them up if he wanted them back, but I was a nice guy and paid him the $50 right away.

Fast forward 6 days and the blue maxima clam, that looked similar to the one i originally bought in the live died. The other two additional clams are alive and happy. I emailed the seller and his response was:

“Yes it must be something in the water or some pH shock not really sure as I’m not monitoring your system, But it’s good that it didn’t affect your other clams because sometimes ammonia spike can affect the other claims. I’m Sorry for your loss.”

So my question is: if there was something wrong with my system wouldn’t all three clams die? They were placed near each other with the same lighting and water flow.

Shouldn’t sellers provide some type of guarantee especially when paying $99 for a 1 inch clam?

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also all you get with salt water is live on arrival past that your out of luck . The hobby is expensive and one of the most important things when purchasing is finding a reputable seller sorry for the loss but in the end u have 2 other clams!

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had issues with him and he’s always been kind and helpful, but I’ve never really met a seller that’s replaced a coral or clam that’s died after a few days :/ I’m sorry for your loss though. It is good that it didn’t affect your other clams and usually when a clam dies it releases ammonia and can kill the others. That one clam could’ve just been finicky and disliked the tank while the other 2 were different. I had gotten 2 clams and while one lived the other one died not long after going in my tank, I still don’t know why.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had issues with him and he’s always been kind and helpful, but I’ve never really met a seller that’s replaced a coral or clam that’s died after a few days :/ I’m sorry for your loss though. It is good that it didn’t affect your other clams and usually when a clam dies it releases ammonia and can kill the others. That one clam could’ve just been finicky and disliked the tank while the other 2 were different. I had gotten 2 clams and while one lived the other one died not long after going in my tank, I still don’t know why.
I never order a clam from this business, however, I think guarantee against DOA is fine, 24 hrs is great. It is unrealistic to expect the seller to replace animals that are in your tank after a few days. I would not pin the death of this clam to the seller and would not expect the seller to replace or refund for the death of this clam. There was no warranty offered or implied.
They need to make a living too. If this is what you want then you just have to get local animal from LFS (most don't have any warranty either) where you can see the animal ahead of time and determine for yourself if the animal is healthy.
It is very tricky to determine if a clam is healthy or in decline, unless you see white shell growth. Order clam online, I must trust the seller, or else have picture that show evidence of shell growth. Even with shell growth, shipping my stressed or injure the clam resulting is shipping related death.
From what you wrote, I do think that the seller is reasonable and works with you. The clam died. This is too bad, but he did not have a 2 weeks warranty like LA. For you to expect the seller to refund or replace the clam, and unhappy when this did not happen is unreasonable, IMO.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check livestock guarantees before ordering. You cannot really complain about a lack of a guarantee after the fact, the onus is on the buyer to research this before purchasing.

HookedReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have multiple clams purchased from Clammania! Never had any issues at all with their customer care or their clams. I have had one die after the acclimation with the other one doing strong. He replaced the clam and I still have all of them going strong! As Brandon said, clams are finicky so it might be the clam

zer0salinity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clam died yesterday and from what I can remember when I opened the box, the water was extremely cold... this might have stressed it.

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a "6 inch" blue squamosa from this vendor. Clam arrived in 64 degree water (!). Its a beauty for sure, but 6"?? yeah not so much...maybe 4" if that! If it were advertised accurately at 4" i prob wouldnt have shelles $450 for it. I called the owner on this. No response. after 1 week, clam alive and well...and still 4" :/

tgcreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not a seller of clams but I know how finicky and difficult they could be. Have had my systems humming on all cylinders and super stable but have still lost a clam for unknown reasons. I imagine it’s hard for them to guarantee these animals due to how difficult they can be. I wouldn’t expect much more than an arrive alive guarantee

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys this dude is a piece of ****, and a liar. He sent me a completely different clam that was already almost dead when i got it, clearly damaged in bad health and BROWN when I should have got a fabulous blue clam, he acted like a man child demanding to video call me 10x wanting to see my face, but the worst part was i got him in 4k lying, here is an example. I got the clam on his LIVE, so i saw it, and he TOLD ME TO REMEMBER THE "Lot Number" and so i did, upon receiving the clam i let him know it was the wrong color but he claimed i was the liar and that it was mistaken, what he did not know is that i recorded him and the entire live.... not only that but at the end i asked him to show me it a 2nd time and so he did.... i sent him this proof and he changed his argument trying to tell me they were the same but the color was lost due to stress......... that's when i took photos side by side of my claim and the 1 i was promised using several angles and tools to show THE SHELLS WERE NOTHING AT ALL ALIKE, they were even different colors, and i forgot to mention the clam he send was less than 1/2 the size. AFTER PRESENTING THIS PROOF HE TELLS ME ITS NOT WYSIWYG............. GUYS
what the heck..... THATS WHAT HE TELLS ME. He then guilt trips me about how hes having a hard time as hes focused on x,y,z.... i told him i understood and that if he could send me the correct claim and if he send me a shipping label i would send back the clam and correct the mistake.... but that's not what he wanted, he wanted his almost dead clam back and not to replace it.... after threatening to make a claim he said he would refund me but he kept putting me off for days, with some automated message asking me for my info and address for a Paypal refund?!?!?!? but i sent it.... i would message him ticked i haven't been refunded but he would tell me "still waiting for you to send me your info so i can get this over with" after sending it 4 times...... Thats my story with the guy, after sharing this story in other reputable forums turns out around the time of his giveaways he did this to multiple people

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys and gals, it’s just too risky buying a clam thats under 3-4 inches.
A healthy clam at any size is fine. Most clams that are under 3-4” are cultured and should be hardy, but most people think they need lower light or put them in lower light thinking they need to be acclimated. They need light and plenty of it, so acclimating for a few days or more is fine, but getting them in higher light should be the goal and the quicker you can do it, the better. They are extremely adaptive, given the right conditions. The problem with smaller clams is sitting under lower light at your LFS for too long.

Rmm5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I found an Instagram account names clam mania and bought a clam during one of their live sales. I spend $99 plus $20 shipping in a 1.5 inch blue maxima. When my package arrived there were three clams in the package and none of them being the clam I chose in the live sale.

I let the owner know and he said I could keep the two extra clams for $50 more dollars. I could have told him he could come pick them up if he wanted them back, but I was a nice guy and paid him the $50 right away.

Fast forward 6 days and the blue maxima clam, that looked similar to the one i originally bought in the live died. The other two additional clams are alive and happy. I emailed the seller and his response was:

“Yes it must be something in the water or some pH shock not really sure as I’m not monitoring your system, But it’s good that it didn’t affect your other clams because sometimes ammonia spike can affect the other claims. I’m Sorry for your loss.”

So my question is: if there was something wrong with my system wouldn’t all three clams die? They were placed near each other with the same lighting and water flow.

Shouldn’t sellers provide some type of guarantee especially when paying $99 for a 1 inch clam?
Wow! I bought two clams from John when he was in Denver for reefstock one small maxima and one durasa . the maxima was about an “1.5 and the durasa was 3.5” the maxima died and the durasa is jamming’ already 5” clams can be difficult from what i’ve heard from the reefing community, I’m recently back in the hobby and have never had a clam before so we will see how it goes.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ordered from this person, but this seems pretty suspect / scammy. Sending things you didn't order then asking for more money...

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, all systems are different and all organisms react differently to those systems. Why it’s often impossible to determine why some live while others perish.

As for sending extra. I wouldn’t have paid. Would have requested a prepaid postage label and sent them back. Anything sent in the mail not ordered doesn’t have to be paid. Doesn’t have to be returned either but no need to be a jerk about it since mistakes inadvertently happen.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back