Has anyone had a captive bred scooter dragonet?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm intrigued by the ORA red scooter dragonet. Has anyone had a captive bred one? If so, what is your feeding like?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly if I could do over, I might order from here instead of Biota/ORA. My captive bred mandarins don't seem to care for prepared foods too much. These have been trained to eat mysis.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly if I could do over, I might order from here instead of Biota/ORA. My captive bred mandarins don't seem to care for prepared foods too much. These have been trained to eat mysis.
That would be easy for feeding. Currently I feed TDO and dead pods (arcti feast). Wouldn't be too hard to add PE mysis

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be easy for feeding. Currently I feed TDO and dead pods (arcti feast). Wouldn't be too hard to add PE mysis
Yea would make it much easier. My biota captive bred ones will eat some TDO every once in a while. I've been supplementing the pods with live and frozen brine with the occasional TDO. I've seen them eat the prepared foods infrequently. They seem much more interested in my pods. Mysis would be super easy as I could feed the entire tank. I also feed arcti feast too, but Im not sure if I've seen the mandarins eat that.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I would be careful of is how the captive bred dragonettes won’t always stay on their captive diet and can revert back so I don’t find it much better than getting a wild one and training it (Although, captive bred dragonettes won’t affect wild populations)

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people that feed pods, how often are you having to replenish them? My my 25 gallon tank, would I have to be going through more than a 6 oz bottle of apex pods from reef nutrition more than once or twice a month?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people that feed pods, how often are you having to replenish them? My my 25 gallon tank, would I have to be going through more than a 6 oz bottle of apex pods from reef nutrition more than once or twice a month?
Do you have a fuge area? I have a separate hob fuge, that helps replenish the pod population. I plan to reseed once a month or every other month. I also dose phyto to help keep up the population.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a fuge area? I have a separate hob fuge, that helps replenish the pod population. I plan to reseed once a month or every other month. I also dose phyto to help keep up the population.
My middle AIO chamber is a refugium with chaeto. It’s around 2.5” x 4.5” x 14”

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My middle AIO chamber is a refugium with chaeto. It’s around 2.5” x 4.5” x 14”
Any little bit should help, but I think you might struggle keeping up pods and would need to reseed a bit more frequently, if the mandarins don't take to prepared as well. If you could increase the fuge area or add something hob that might help.

My fuge is about 10% of my total system volume, just to give you an idea.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back