Has anyone kept a Flathead Perch (Rainfordia opercularis)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zionas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 6, 2020
Messages
6,068
Reaction score
3,491
Location
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either wild-caught or a Biota CB one (much cheaper actually). If you have or currently keep one, what’s it like?

What does it eat and any predatory behavior / risk towards smaller fish?

What about mixing it with other Basslets?

How shy is it compared to the average Gramma or Liopropoma (they’re a relative of the latter).
 
Wonder if you found any old threads or an entry for them in any fish books?
 
There’s almost no info about this Basslet online or in any academic sources. The few reports I found of this fish in captivity come from Japanese sources and a few Reef Builders articles. I believe there’s a guy on here that has a pair of them along with a collection of other rare stuff but he hasn’t posted in a while. I know maybe 3-4 people total that have kept one.
 
There’s almost no info about this Basslet online or in any academic sources. The few reports I found of this fish in captivity come from Japanese sources and a few Reef Builders articles. I believe there’s a guy on here that has a pair of them along with a collection of other rare stuff but he hasn’t posted in a while. I know maybe 3-4 people total that have kept one.

In the US, these are being bred by Todd Gardner. I worked with him years ago, he helped me raise some boarfish, Capros aper.

You've seen his article?

https://reefs.com/magazine/flathead-perch/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new