Has anyone kept Blue Reef Chromis?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36? Wow — pic!!!!!

Cannot get all 36-ish in one shot at one time, but here's a representative sample.

image.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or crappy photography skills ......

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot get all 36-ish in one shot at one time, but here's a representative sample.

image.jpeg
That looks awesome!

I just don't have the mature corals to pull that off yet.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or crappy photography skills ......

:p

Your camera "accidentally" picked up an awesome fish tank while you were swinging it around, so no worries!! :D

In seriousness that's WAY FAR the most blue damsels I've seen at once – awesome!! :) Wish I could sit there in front of the tank and watch them for 30 min or so. :D

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. :) :) :)

What is the large flat/leafy looking coral in the bottom left? (Looks like it's right under a NICE BIG red Monti.)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a bog standard purple digi. I have it in a few places in the tank but for some reason in that spot it forms that odd leafy look. There's a ton of flow that comes out from behind the rocks there, so perhaps the growth form is a result of that. Not really sure

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a bog standard purple digi. I have it in a few places in the tank but for some reason in that spot it forms that odd leafy look. There's a ton of flow that comes out from behind the rocks there, so perhaps the growth form is a result of that. Not really sure

That's great!! I bet @Dana Riddle would like to know that.

I love M. digitata for it's supremely adaptable form.

An Orange digi has been one of my favorite corals, but they never branched in my tank like you see in the pictures. Instead it grew an enormous mostly-flat table shape! Only a handful of stubby vertical "branches" ever formed.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great!! I bet @Dana Riddle would like to know that.

I love M. digitata for it's supremely adaptable form.

An Orange digi has been one of my favorite corals, but they never branched in my tank like you see in the pictures. Instead it grew an enormous mostly-flat table shape! Only a handful of stubby vertical "branches" ever formed.
As mentioned, corals have the ability to adapt to different conditions (light, flow, food availability, etc.) Veron famously examined adaptive behavior of a Pocillopora species living in different biotopes. I observed much the same in Pocillopora meandrina specimens in Hawaii. On the reef, they had the thick, c-shaped branches while in an aquarium they morphed into a shape usually associated with P. damicornis (probably due to different water velocity conditions.) Light intensityis known to influence branch morpholgy as well. In high light, branches are columnar while deeper water specimens tend to flatten out to expose a maximum amount of surface area to light. In another instance, I did some experiments while at Wildlife back in the 90's. Corals that were fed tended to grow tall, while specimens relying on light and whatever they could catch in an 'unfed' situation tended to flattened out for maximum light capture (phototrophy v. heterotrophy.) Hard to say what caused the coral to morph under these particular circumstances, but fascinating nonetheless.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind the damsels.. look at those colonies!!! Amazing tank for sure;Happy any secrets??

No 'secrets' really. Stable water parameters, wicked flow, am a big proponent of the CaRx ...... and I generally stick to the easier, less expensive SPS. Nothing particularly exotic in my tank .... Purple and red digi, green slimmer, a few kinds of birdsnest, a bunch of easy chalice, and even the weed that is pocilopora. I'm actually more a fish first reefer, thus all the %#?%# damsels LOL. I refuse to spend silly $$ on 'designer' frags, though I will and have spent thusly on a fish here and there.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good spot. Yes, resplendents. They are generally quite shy and usually don't end up showing in the video.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd mention.. I ended up going with the yellow tail damsels. DD had a trio that was captive bred so I figured why not give them a try! But if they start any issues with anyone else, they're getting booted:p

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tank a LOT! Probably 20 cube equivalents per day. Keeps the tangs at a healthy weight, mostly, and the smaller fish that might be inclined to bicker (YT damsels, Bartlett anthias, green chromis) or cause trouble generally happy. It also allows the less aggressive fish like the aforementioned resplendents to get their fill. Pour food directly into the wave pump and it gets dispersed so the most piggish don't eat it all.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After thinking about this more I believe I heard about a purple Elkorn digi as well as a standard purple digi that as cylindrical branches. Was your possibly an ORA?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think so. I’ll post a picture of a more normal growth form from elsewhere in my system.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back