Has anyone kept Blue Reef Chromis?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fishnchip
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I bet you have what I used to get/sell as purple elkhorn then...always thought the flat-ish branch shape was novel – wondered what that would look like grown out!
 
I recently got some blue reef chromis from LiveAquaria for my 32 g. Thought they were supposed to be in groups so I got 2. But mine don't seem to like each other and one bullies the other. The bully doesn't bother my other fish though even though he is the biggest in the tank. They are quite different color blues - one is very dark and the other much brighter.
 
I recently got some blue reef chromis from LiveAquaria for my 32 g. Thought they were supposed to be in groups so I got 2. But mine don't seem to like each other and one bullies the other. The bully doesn't bother my other fish though even though he is the biggest in the tank. They are quite different color blues - one is very dark and the other much brighter.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I like to call Chromis the "Highlander Fish". They will work together if there is a threat forcing them to shoal together for safety. As soon as they feel secure, they start picking off the weakest fish until "there can be only one".

Umm... I basically just admitted I was old using this reference, didn't I.... :oops:
 
The blue reef chromis isn't really very social in aquaria.
 
I had two as my first two fish in my 75. Good eaters friendly mostly to all others I added.
Ate well (anything) and grew like weeds. Lost them and others to velvet a month or so back. I have pics of them on my Build thread if interested. I really enjoyed them
Good morning. I am confused, which is quite easy BTW, but it sounds like you folks are talking about damsels. I have 6 B/G chromis that I first purchased when starting my system the largest is now almost 3" and he rules the herd. I recently brought in velvet on a fish and lost several., they rode out the velvet. All 6 are still swimming and get along fine.
 
Is it not he same fish (chromis) just different color varation? Or are they actually different sub species? I assumed it was like the difference between an Ocellaris Clownfish and a True Percula Clownfish, Both are Clownfish

Interesting question my friend. damsels, chromis, and clownfish belong to the family Pomacentridae making them relatives.
 
Blue green chromis(C. viridis) are a different species than blue chromis(C. cyaneus). While social in the wild, over time in aquaria, C. cyaneus can be pretty territorial to conspecifics.
 
Blue green chromis(C. viridis) are a different species than blue chromis(C. cyaneus). While social in the wild, over time in aquaria, C. cyaneus can be pretty territorial to conspecifics.

Love it!

So many species in the family. I really like a Chromis delta I had a few years back.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new