Has anyone reared lythrypnus dalli?

dingdingboom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried for years rearing these cute fish. They lay lots of eggs but the larvae never live more than a week or so. I tried giving them copepods, rotifers, to no avail. Appreciate any help! Thanks!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried for years rearing these cute fish. They lay lots of eggs but the larvae never live more than a week or so. I tried giving them copepods, rotifers, to no avail. Appreciate any help! Thanks!
Go on reef nutrition.com they got plenty of smaller foods just for hatchlings. Pods are for when the fry are a little bigger

Last edited:

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Catalina gobies are so awesome. You should go contact Dr. Andy Rhyne about them. He has been successful raising them. He is at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island. I believe he offers them copepods when they first start eating and then on to rotifers. He also uses live Isochrysis algae as greenwater. The students in the lab call them California cockroaches because they breed like crazy. You may want to keep them at lower temperatures since they are a cold water species.

Here is his contact information:https://www.rwu.edu/academics/schools-and-colleges/fssns/faculty/andrew-rhyne
One of his grad students may be able help out as well: Joseph Szczebak https://www.rwu.edu/academics/schools-and-colleges/fssns/faculty/joe-szczebak

We have plenty of copepod and rotifer starters that we can send you as well. I have a copepod that has a 70 micron nauplius. It is Apocyclops panamensis and eats our non-viable (dead) algae. I have had them in culture for 4 years now and have never fed them live algae. Same with our rotifers.

Good luck!

Chad

OP
OP
D

dingdingboom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catalina gobies are so awesome. You should go contact Dr. Andy Rhyne about them. He has been successful raising them. He is at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island. I believe he offers them copepods when they first start eating and then on to rotifers. He also uses live Isochrysis algae as greenwater. The students in the lab call them California cockroaches because they breed like crazy. You may want to keep them at lower temperatures since they are a cold water species.

Here is his contact information:https://www.rwu.edu/academics/schools-and-colleges/fssns/faculty/andrew-rhyne
One of his grad students may be able help out as well: Joseph Szczebak https://www.rwu.edu/academics/schools-and-colleges/fssns/faculty/joe-szczebak

We have plenty of copepod and rotifer starters that we can send you as well. I have a copepod that has a 70 micron nauplius. It is Apocyclops panamensis and eats our non-viable (dead) algae. I have had them in culture for 4 years now and have never fed them live algae. Same with our rotifers.

Good luck!

Chad
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't able to get any information from them though. Has anyone else raised these little guys?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back