Has anyone successfully made cubes of homemade frozen food?

Lucky_805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used it or another one? Do they shred it small enough for smaller fish?
this was the first time I used the food processor because before this i would freeze the food and use a cheese grater to make it into small pieces but that takes super long and my fingers would burn from the cold. Yes they are perfect size for the fish i have naso tang, clownfish, little damsels, wrasses they love that food over flakes or pellets.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was the first time I used the food processor because before this i would freeze the food and use a cheese grater to make it into small pieces but that takes super long and my fingers would burn from the cold. Yes they are perfect size for the fish i have naso tang, clownfish, little damsels, wrasses they love that food over flakes or pellets.
I did it with the processor once, its a pain...

I bought one of these and just mix it in a bowl now.

Screenshot_20230327-202303.png

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to make my own frozen food and would love to make cubes of it. Anybody doing this? More convenient for me, and easier to give feeding instructions to fish sitters. I ordered some of the mini silicone ice cube trays from Amazon, but they are TINY! I'm looking for something closer to the size of cube foods you buy. You'd think they'd be available, but I can't find them.

The closest I could find were these. That is an assortment of three different size cube trays. The largest size is perfect, but I'd like a bunch of them and don't want to order 10 of these and have to discard the two smaller sized trays.
I use these, tried the smaller cubes and its in the bah pile, found the .6 inch cubes close to what comes pre packaged from the lfs.

EuChoiz Silicone Ice Cube Trays 3pcs/Pack, 3 Different Sizes Ice Cube Molds, Small Crushed Ice Cube Flexible Easy Release Reusable and BPA Free Ice Trays https://a.co/d/cZ7nR3r

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MingTa 126 Cavity Silicone Square
Anybody else like these?
Anybody else read the instructions:

"Don't touch the open flame directly or close to the heat source"

Nice thread.

I went to Walmart last week and they had shelled oysters in a 1 lb plastic bucket. There were two that were weeks out of date, and I asked the front counter if I could purchase them half price since they can't sell them. Lady told me they have to ship them back, and also they cant sell them after the use by date. I regret not shoplifting those since they went to waste, but I did walk all the way back to the fish section and get myself some fresh ones. I chopped them up Gordon Ramsey style and slide the goop into ziplock bags, pressed them flat so they were a 1/8-1/4 inch thick and froze the whole mess. I can snap off sheet-chunks and drop pieces into my thaw cup and feed the fish live frozen oysters including @Paul B's guts and giblets for ~$10.00/ lb.

Old Shrimp on closeout sale, same process. Its slow but I like to eat good too. Frozen baggies, press the chopings thin, freeze and snap. Pismo clams, bean clams, all good. I tried a wavey top shell once, almost threwup when I pulled the thing out of its shell.

First Lady Biden GIF by GIPHY News
Pray for the clerk who wasted 2lb of oysters. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anybody else like these?

Nice thread.

I went to Walmart last week and they had shelled oysters in a 1 lb plastic bucket. There were two that were weeks out of date, and I asked the front counter if I could purchase them half price since they can't sell them. Lady told me they have to ship them back, and also they cant sell them after the use by date. I regret not shoplifting those since they went to waste, but I did walk all the way back to the fish section and get myself some fresh ones. I chopped them up Gordon Ramsey style and slide the goop into ziplock bags, pressed them flat so they were a 1/8-1/4 inch thick and froze the whole mess. I can snap off sheet-chunks and drop pieces into my thaw cup and feed the fish live frozen oysters including @Paul B's guts and giblets for ~$10.00/ lb.

Old Shrimp on closeout sale, same process. Its slow but I like to eat good too. Frozen baggies, press the chopings thin, freeze and snap. Pismo clams, bean clams, all good. I tried a wavey top shell once, almost threwup when I pulled the thing out of its shell.

I just ordered them. I too dice some frozen for feeding my predator tanks. Try to keep them a little drier when freezing so not a hard ice cube. Also if hard floor a couple of high speed drops after frozen and they separate nicely.
I want to make a finer purée so it can be fed to my reef tanks. I would do flats and break apart, but having my shoulder repaired on the 17th and going to be in a sling for weeks. Thinking the cubes easier for my wife to know how much to feed.

Lucky_805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else like these?

Nice thread.

pismo clams? i wonder if i can just harvest them since pismo is 15 min away. would they survive in a reef tank? would it be harmful to feed to my fish?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered them. I too dice some frozen for feeding my predator tanks. Try to keep them a little drier when freezing so not a hard ice cube. Also if hard floor a couple of high speed drops after frozen and they separate nicely.
I want to make a finer purée so it can be fed to my reef tanks. I would do flats and break apart, but having my shoulder repaired on the 17th and going to be in a sling for weeks. Thinking the cubes easier for my wife to know how much to feed.

I tend to borderline puree it and use a little rodi to liquefy a bit so its easier to cube. I do it since the GF usually dumps food in when I'm traveling for work. Its easy to say 3 cubes for the big tank and one for the small tank. They also are auto fed pellets/flake but I figure some mix up is always good.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pismo clams? i wonder if i can just harvest them since pismo is 15 min away. would they survive in a reef tank? would it be harmful to feed to my fish?
Technically you need a fishing license and can take 10, adult sized clams. I forget how to measure them and the size limit and catch may have changed again?

Lots of people eat them, they are cold water species so they will not live long in a tropical reef tank.

But get a fishing license and then you can harvest limits of clams, there are lots of other clams and if you open them up the fish will pick them out of the shell or you can scrape them out and cut them op and freeze them and have excellent fish food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back