Has anyone successfully made cubes of homemade frozen food?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to make my own frozen food and would love to make cubes of it. Anybody doing this? More convenient for me, and easier to give feeding instructions to fish sitters. I ordered some of the mini silicone ice cube trays from Amazon, but they are TINY! I'm looking for something closer to the size of cube foods you buy. You'd think they'd be available, but I can't find them.

The closest I could find were these. That is an assortment of three different size cube trays. The largest size is perfect, but I'd like a bunch of them and don't want to order 10 of these and have to discard the two smaller sized trays.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try it, and as fun as the process was the first time- after that, not so much.. So we have moved on to a variety of liquid foods kept in a fridge next to the tank. It could not be easier honestly and my fish love it! :)

Aquaforest and Reef Nutrition has a good selection between them..

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try it, and as fun as the process was the first time- after that, not so much.. So we have moved on to a variety of liquid foods kept in a fridge next to the tank. It could not be easier honestly and my fish love it! :)

Aquaforest and Reef Nutrition has a good selection between them..
Well what ever works!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to make my own frozen food and would love to make cubes of it. Anybody doing this? More convenient for me, and easier to give feeding instructions to fish sitters. I ordered some of the mini silicone ice cube trays from Amazon, but they are TINY! I'm looking for something closer to the size of cube foods you buy. You'd think they'd be available, but I can't find them.

The closest I could find were these. That is an assortment of three different size cube trays. The largest size is perfect, but I'd like a bunch of them and don't want to order 10 of these and have to discard the two smaller sized trays.
Not sure which trays you bought but I use the ones below. They are about the same size as the cubes sold in stores maybe even a hair bigger. Each cube measures 0.78 inch square (from the amazon page) Not sure why people act like its a chore. I can make enough food in 30 minutes to last several months feeding 3 tanks

ice cube trays.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what ever works!
Aye, agreed! Keep the lifestock happy in whichever way works better for you! :) I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here..

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made more food last week using the tiny-cube silicone trays. My tanks each get a few to several cubes that I thaw in plastic pop-top containers in the fridge overnight or on my desk for my work tank.
I totally think it is worth it making my own frozen fish food; I do really enjoy DIY in general.

Not sure which trays you bought but I use the ones below. They are about the same size as the cubes sold in stores maybe even a hair bigger. Each cube measures 0.78 inch square (from the amazon page) Not sure why people act like its a chore. I can make enough food in 30 minutes to last several months feeding 3 tanks

ice cube trays.jpg
Great suggestion! I'll have to look into these for larger cube sizes and to bulk up my number of trays since most of my batches of food are too large for the number of trays I currently have and I have to leave the excess in the fridge overnight while the first set freezes so I can remove the cubes from the trays and bulk-bag so the trays are useable again for the rest of the food.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a number of reefers making their own food. In addition to the guy above this post @Soren my friend Steffan @sfin52 makes his own too. Maybe he’ll give a suggestion or two.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

I've been doing this from day one. I have silicone trays that have 1''x1'' cubes and it works great! I make all my own frozen foods

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Me too!! Amazon find for me, and I found these to be the perfect size. I can link if needed. IMG_20230321_080809517.jpg IMG_20230321_080753781.jpg
These little ones are great!
Between my 4 tanks, the larger cubes work well for me. 2 cubes feeds all 4 tanks (185 total gallons)

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make mine in standard ice cube trays that are of the round bottom variety. After good and frozen, I pop them out and cut into 1/4's with a large knife - it cuts rather easily. Works well and 1 piece is good for my tank in one feeding. I have saved a LOT of money by making it myself. The ingredients change from tray to tray based on what I pick up at the Asian market. I also add reef chili and green sea weed. Fish love it.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You can’t afford her. Don’t feel bad, though, no one can! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
It's not me he can't afford, lol I'm not for sale.
He can't afford the shipping to Canada!
Jim Carrey Shipping GIF by Morgan Creek
Decide Which One GIF by TipsyElves.com

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ingredients change from tray to tray based on what I pick up at the Asian market
Same here but no Asian store but local grocery has a decent seafood dept. I ussualy toss in some PE mysys, selcon, vitachem and garlic oil. Fish seem to love it and I get enough really small peices for anthias and corals to eat as well as the big guys

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back