Has anyone switched fro Kessils to Radions or Orphek?

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SPS dom tank and I'm actually getting great growth.. 525xl reefer 4 360 WEs + 2 reef blue reef brites...

But, im wondering if anyone has made the switch and in terms of look/color enjoyed the orpheks radions MUCH more?

I just don't want to spend 1500-2k and lights for little to no difference.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 M/H's over my 90 with a blue xho RB supplementing. I thought I would try 2 360x's in place of the Reefbrite but wasn't blown away by them so I exchanged them for 2 XR15 pros and prefer the Radions much more. Right now though the Reefbrite is back on and its great. But with your 4 360s and 2 Reefbrites you have now I wouldn't change a thing. A lot of money for very little difference. If anything you can add a couple T5s for more daylight spectrum.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a couple XR15s (gen 3 pros) a year or two ago to play with (decent deal on a used pair) and they didn't even make it on my tank. The Kessils have a massive spread advantage over the Radions (I cant understate this) at the same mounting height. The Radions had a PAR advantage at the same mounting height. To get the same spread, the Radions have to be mounted about a foot higher than the Kessils and when you do that, the PAR is almost identical. The Radions do not blend as well as the Kessil but there is a diffuser available to address that (and the additional mounting height helps as well).

I'm not sure how blue you run your tank with the Kessils (I keep our WEs at 60% color to maximize PAR) but the AB+ profile is extremely blue. At the same color temperature, the Kessil doesnt have the florescence of the Radions (guessing that is why you have the Reef Brites). The 360X is much closer in appearance to the Radions.

My opinion, there is no good reason to make the change but we rarely need a good reason to do anything in this hobby.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, what madweazl said. If you're having success then why change. Change is bad for a reef tank. If you feel like changing something buy a new car.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back