Are Kessil a360x enough or do I need more?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been in the hobby 30 years wirh fresh water and had a marine tank 8 yrs ago then a family tragedy had me out of the hobby for 2yrs and never returned to salt. Freshwater is one thing but marine is a whole new animal and as with my freshwater I want to do it right the first time

Np - just letting you know lighting is one of those things that you will get a zillion different answers. The Kessil a series gives you mounting options due to the lens feature. Dense array vs panel is going to provide a different spread but compensated by mounting height with the kessils.

As I mentioned you may want to do a quick scan of the ReefFi 2.0 panel. Cheaper and more light with many hobbyist standing behind it. Me personally I prefer to not add supplemental bars as that means I'm doing something wrong right out of the gate with the design. Also less maintenance, cords, and power supplies.

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Np - just letting you know lighting is one of those things that you will get a zillion different answers. The Kessil a series gives you mounting options due to the lens feature. Dense array vs panel is going to provide a different spread but compensated by mounting height with the kessils.

As I mentioned you may want to do a quick scan of the ReefFi 2.0 panel. Cheaper and more light with many hobbyist standing behind it. Me personally I prefer to not add supplemental bars as that means I'm doing something wrong right out of the gate with the design. Also less maintenance, cords, and power supplies.
Never thought of supplemented light bars as an error in planning but your right. What are you running over what size tank?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought of supplemented light bars as an error in planning but your right. What are you running over what size tank?

Note when I say error in planning I look at it a couple different ways and not that "you" did something wrong.

1. Did I not get the spectrum right? Too blue, too natural, no control or flexibility and because of this did I need to add to get what I want.

2. Spread or coverage. Did I get too much? Not enough? Are there shadows today? As the corals grow do they cover other corals? This can also be mitigated by coral placement.

With regards to what I'm running it doesn't matter because I'm different and have a different size display and age. But since you asked I run a pair of SKY's over a 210 gallon display 54 x 30 x 30. Mixed reef, 7 years old.

Do a search on Telegraham and ReeFi Uno 2.0 pro in your favorite search engine. He pretty much talks straight with no marketing BS mixed in. If they are available in your neck of the woods it may be what you are looking for. Should help with panel vs dense array light types.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Note when I say error in planning I look at it a couple different ways and not that "you" did something wrong.

1. Did I not get the spectrum right? Too blue, too natural, no control or flexibility and because of this did I need to add to get what I want.

2. Spread or coverage. Did I get too much? Not enough? Are there shadows today? As the corals grow do they cover other corals? This can also be mitigated by coral placement.

With regards to what I'm running it doesn't matter because I'm different and have a different size display and age. But since you asked I run a pair of SKY's over a 210 gallon display 54 x 30 x 30. Mixed reef, 7 years old.

Do a search on Telegraham and ReeFi Uno 2.0 pro in your favorite search engine. He pretty much talks straight with no marketing BS mixed in. If they are available in your neck of the woods it may be what you are looking for. Should help with panel vs dense array light types.
I agree, the Reefi’s are really nice and you get a lot for the money. I think I would like some more warm whites in the mix, but that’s a personal preference, as I’m a diehard 14k user. You could also mix fixtures in a clean way to achieve your goals. A couple Kessil’s for shimmer/contrast and a couple Reefi’s for coverage. I also agree, there are a million ways to light a reef.

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think if I was running apex I’d consider sky’s

OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this! Kessil a360x is a great light, but since its a single point of illumination, its pretty easy to shade. It will become more problematic as the SPS get wider and start shading themselves. But with that being said, you can get some great results out the gate.
Thank you

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That translates to around $537 USD for me. At that price I would never consider kessils for the a360x. Absolutely not. And I use kessils. There are far more economical and effective options out there. I paid $200 USD a piece for mine with under a year of use on each. I’m not sure what the market for gear is like in Australia, but there has to be a better option.

The shimmer looks nice, but the build quality and spectrum are very average.

Jose Fatule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I’m looking at getting 2 x kessil a360x for my 4 x 2 x 2 build and was wondering If they are enough for a mixed reef with sps or do I need supplementary lighting like either 2-4 Reef Brite xho blue led or 2 orphek or3 blue with 2 orphek or3 day

Im not sure and the more I read/watch I get confused. Ihis was so much easier when it’s fresh water or marine with hallides

regards Duzzy
With the Kessil light you won’t need more they can grow everything! I have 2 on my Cade tank (85 gls on the display)

Attachments

• B31724AD-8EF7-4C53-AFE2-E5D16B2038C9.jpeg
    B31724AD-8EF7-4C53-AFE2-E5D16B2038C9.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Duzzy

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That translates to around $537 USD for me. At that price I would never consider kessils for the a360x. Absolutely not. And I use kessils. There are far more economical and effective options out there. I paid $200 USD a piece for mine with under a year of use on each. I’m not sure what the market for gear is like in Australia, but there has to be a better option.

The shimmer looks nice, but the build quality and spectrum are very average.

Here’s what I’m facing just for lights here in Australia just for lights and other gear just as expensive but I’m still keen! Even if my wife thinks I’m mad! supportive as hell just thinks I’m mad.

Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 6 PRO Light $1459,

Atlantik iCon Compact - Orphek $1249

Red Sea ReefLED 90 LED Light $649

Aqua Illumination Hydra 64 HD $1099

Reef Factory REEF FLARE LED $654

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s what I’m facing just for lights here in Australia just for lights and other gear just as expensive but I’m still keen! Even if my wife thinks I’m mad! supportive as hell just thinks I’m mad.

Ecotech Radion XR30 Gen 6 PRO Light $1459,

Atlantik iCon Compact - Orphek $1249

Red Sea ReefLED 90 LED Light $649

Aqua Illumination Hydra 64 HD $1099

Reef Factory REEF FLARE LED $654

Does no one carry ReeFi's?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back