Has anyone tried Salifert test kits lately?

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall that Salifert had past problems with their alkalinity and calcium test kits. I have since talked with Scott at Premium Aquatics and he mentioned that they fixed the problem. Im in need of more test kits (calcium, alk and mag) and am kind of weary of going with Salifert.
What test kits do you guys use?
Thanks
-Chris

cardgenius

Paging Dr. Greenthumb!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im done with them. I bought a new alk kit with the reference solution about 2 weeks ago and its way off. My old Salifert kit read 8.6dkh. My new one is reading anywhere between 10-11. I bought an API test and its reading 8.

I knew it was a gamble with all the bad kits going out but I thought Id try it since Ive heard people have been getting good results with the new kits. Theyre just too inconsistent for me to keep trying, and the fact that the Salifert forum on RC is gone makes me think they know and dont care.

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use tropic marin and really like them,easy to use with positive color change and good value.
i use their alk and calcium/mag combo kit.

OP
OP
Chris2222000

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use tropic marin and really like them,easy to use with positive color change and good value.
i use their alk and calcium/mag combo kit.

Thanks I actually did a search here and found plenty of info. on test kits. In the end Im going to go the route of API for calcium and alk and magnesium some other brand. This link is a complete experiment on how different test kits rate against each other: http://www.dfwmas.org/pdf_files/Test Kit Analysis.pdf
-Chris

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From that article, looks like it's a guessing game regardless of what u use. :(

Big Chippa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im done with salifert as well their alk test kit almost cost me big. I am using elos now but since I have switched their prices have gone up $3-$4 per kit!!!I am told API are good and cheap.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got 2 new salifert kits. calcium and magnesium. calcium tested about 40ppm higher than what i was used to. and magnesium came in at 1900ppm! lol

my old test kits were used up, so i didn't have the ability to make a direct comparison. so i'm gonna have a local test my water tomorrow to compare, i'll get back with the results.

i may switch to lamotte. i really would prefer a titration kit for alk and calcium b/c i really liked the accuracy offered by the salifer kits. not sure who to get a magnesium kit from though.

i'm not sure about elos kits, granted i haven't used one...but from what i hear the readings are in whole numbers (not very accurate) for alk (i.e. 7, 8, 9...no decimals), magnesium in 100's. not sure about what the calcium readings look like though.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Lamotte ca and alk and I really like them. I am gonna get the red sea mg kit next time i'm at the lfs.

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed the drip inconsistency mentioned with the tropic marin alk test.
But i have found the problem mainly occurs with the first drop which gets air from inverting the bottle.
i always discard the first drop and then make sure the bottle is vertical while dripping.
i have'nt seen the 2 dkh discrepency they mention.

i am not familiar with the API alk test is this also a dropper test or is it titration??

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use API for alk. Talk about bang for the buck. Less than $4 per kit and accurate to boot.

For calcium I'm still using an older (read as safer) Salifert. When that expires I'll probably go with API there as well. For mag I use Seachem. I like it as it comes with a 1350 reference standard to check the accuracy of the test kit. This assumes that the standard is spot on.

G.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, according to that study, it really does look like the alk and calcium kits for API offer the most bang for your buck....hands down. their averages are very close to the mean.

elos also seems to be pretty decent for alk and calcium.

but this study still leaves allot to be desired about a magnesium test kit...more experiments need to be run before a comparison can be made.

the thing about salifert kits, is that they can be insanely accurate more than any other kit....but it seems that the its always hit or miss depending on the test kit...which is ashame. it essentially means salifert has the right idea (chemically), but their quality control is SEVERELY lacking. so my guess would be that they are having problems with one reagent batch going bad or mixing improperly...which would explain why its hit or miss depending on the kit.

my biggest issue, which the study doesn't explain, and you can't find on any websites selling them....is how the readings are displayed. b/c i really liked salifert alk being able to go to 9.1/9.3/9.5/9.7 etc. same with magnesium and calcium 1225/1250/1275, 400/405/410/415 etc.

i really don't like having to read alk in whole numbers (i.e. 7/8/9/10), calcium by 50's (300/350/400/450), and magnesium by 100's (1300/1400/1500).

when you guys say these other test kits are nice, can you please explain how they give their readings?

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had a problem with my Salifert test kits. I see alot of user error at the LFS which i just dont understand as i find them easy to use. Im interested in trying some of the other brands mentioned though. I have the api alk tester and i dont really like it at all.

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Al, at $25 that thing is about the same price as 1 salifert calcium kit!

Yeah, it sucks that the API alk is in whole numbers, but once you've established a balance with your calcium and alk it doesn't really matter. As 1 meq/l of alk is consumed, 20 ppm of calcium are consumed (rough but accurate). So, if a tank consumes 20ppm of calcium a day (let's say dropping from 440 - 420, not a big deal at all IMO), the balanced alk has dropped from 11 dkh to 8.25 dkh (ouch, now that's harsh). Now that I have a test kit that I'm comfortable with, I find myself testing alkalinity quite frequently (weekly if not twice), and calcium more on the order of monthly (maybe every 2-3 months if I think of it).

Even if all of the alk in NSW precipitated out as calcium carbonate, the calcium would drop by only 50ppm. So, no alk, but still a fair amount of calcium. Makes me believe that alk is more important to monitor than calcium.

FWIW, I find that if things are getting screwy despite no messing around on my part (and no obvious precipitation), then that is a good time to check for MG (which I do at around the same rate as the calcium).

JMO.

Garrett.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back