Has anything changed or do we still not know why anemones bubble?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,649
Reaction score
67,833
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know a few years ago when I was looking into it, the jury was out on why BTAs bubble and others stretch. It's so funny that even in the exact same tank in almost the exact same spot you might see one nem bubbled and another extended. Do we have any new knowledge on this topic that maybe I missed, or are we still pretty clueless about this behavior?
 
Still clueless. Some people seem to have methods that work for their own specimens, but nothing universal whatsoever.

One side of my tank gets a lot of natural direct sun and the nem on that side has nice bubbles. The bta's on the other side that does not get direct sun are not bubbled. This has me wondering if light has something to do with it.
 
So, this is a super science backed method...

I whisper sweet nothings to my anemones before lights out. Bubbles galore!

careless whisper GIF by George Michael
 
I'm not sure if anyone knows but in my system I've noticed they dont bubble if the alkalinity is to low recently it's been high and again no bubbles
 
My BTA can't even make up its mind.... its often half bubbled, half not bubbled...
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new