Have to move am I on the right track?

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well have to move out of our apartment at the end of December waiting on our house to be built and can't get a new tank untill after move in (also have to see where new tank can go) Currently have a 30 gallon tank with 2 clown and bunch of small frags, with a canister filter. I was thinking buy a 20 gallon tank and set it up at my parents house no sand or rock, so ready to go so it's a quick move. My parents house to our new house is 10 minutes away.

Now back to my 30 gallon tank. When I set up my tank I didn't cure my dry rock before adding it to my tank so it cured in the tank and had a algae bloom. Should I throw out my sand and let my rock dry out again when I move?

Hoping to get the Red Sea 650 peninsula once get moved in and settled. Have double floor joists added where the tank should go.

Thanks in advance

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the peninsula 650 and love it. I talked to a structural engineer before buying mine. I'd think youd want some live rock to move with the fish.

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to scrub the funky stuff off the rocks before adding to the tank?

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well have to move out of our apartment at the end of December waiting on our house to be built and can't get a new tank untill after move in (also have to see where new tank can go) Currently have a 30 gallon tank with 2 clown and bunch of small frags, with a canister filter. I was thinking buy a 20 gallon tank and set it up at my parents house no sand or rock, so ready to go so it's a quick move. My parents house to our new house is 10 minutes away.

Now back to my 30 gallon tank. When I set up my tank I didn't cure my dry rock before adding it to my tank so it cured in the tank and had a algae bloom. Should I throw out my sand and let my rock dry out again when I move?

Hoping to get the Red Sea 650 peninsula once get moved in and settled. Have double floor joists added where the tank should go.

Thanks in advance
It’s totally up to you ! If you let the rocks dry out you’ll just repeat the process and most likely go through the algae issues again. If it where me I would keep them wet to the best of my ability hopefully to avoid having to recure the rock

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a few months ago. I kept the rocks wet in the buckets with fish and corals and tossed the sand. I also scrubbed my roacks of everything. When i introduced everything to the new tank i had no problems with algae blooms.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back