Have to say old school acros still top in my eyes

FO_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again you’re not getting my point. I’m also not selling acros at premium prices and selling orange glasses for my customers to look at them. And my opinion of the subject is in the title of my thread. Doesn’t have to be yours.
He literally said that you are entitled to your opinion... no one is disputing that.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we know we are using artificial light. You are not getting the point. Don’t want to have to look at my corals using blue lights and orange glasses while emptying my wallet lol. That wasn’t the case with old school acros
My point was that even “white” lights that you all consider “natural” or “day lights” aren’t actually natural at all. They’re actually quite blue in comparison to sunlight. So unless you’re using natural sunlight, you really are using blue lights too.
My other point was that a lot of people really like collecting corals that glow under blues. I like having a mix of both. Some corals that look better under “day lights” and some that look crazy under actinic.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pigments in these corals are natural, why do we have to use crazy light and then on top of it use an unnatural way of viewing the coral like orange glasses or lenses? Your not seeing what’s really there. If you were, you could see it without the glasses.
I am going to stick to growing corals the best I can the old school way and hope that things like calling corals by species and color catch on again, or growing large colonies and selling large frags catches on or something.

A pigment is a protein that the corals produce to help give their algae the right wavelengths of light. The job of the pigment is to absorb some wavelengths of light and reflect others. They protect their algae from harmful UV wavelengths by producing pigments that reflect UV colors. The ones they reflect are the ones we see. Some of these pigments reflect colors that aren't typically viewable to the human eye unless illuminated with certain types of blue or UV light. The pigments are naturally occurring, they just require artificial light for us to see those colors. The amazing thing, however, is that some animals are able to see them without assistance.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...-can-see-or-glow-in-ultraviolet-light/243634/

Let me ask you...if the pigment is unnatural, then where did it come from? As far as I know, no one has figured out how to add dye to a live coral.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love old school sps. Been on the hunt for a year for a nice oregon tort...

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blue or white makes no difference to me. For me it’s like watching a sunrise/sunset. U have to sit back and enjoy all the different variations Mother Nature throws at u. This is one great hobby that gives everyone a little bit to enjoy in there own way. Happy reefing guys and gals !!!

acropoora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice old schoo you can hold a piece in your hand and walk outside into sun light and see true solid colors. Most of these new fancy corals are just brown without the trick lighting.

Here you go from left to right...Oregon Tort, ASD Rainbow Milli, and ORA Pearlberry

First photo with some sun. Second one in the shade.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to stay out of the "which is best," but I have longer waiting list for Purple Monster, Pink Panther, RM Rainbow Nasuta, OG ORA Pearlberry (not one of the imposters), Blue Tort, OG Ice Fire Echinata, etc. than I have for people wanting home wrecker and the trendy ones. The old school ones are also going up in price whereas the newer ones are going down.

There are some new ones that are entering old school status like Fox Flame, RR Pink Caddy, Heart of the Ocean, WWC OG Bounce Mushrooms that seem universally liked and also need no tricks to look good.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were like 2 or 3 booths selling orange glasses lol. Reminded me of the movie “they live” with rowdy roddy piper.

hehe, maybe someone can have fun editing this gif to show a frag under actinic and white light. (i don’t have the know-how myself) :p

upload_2019-6-26_20-19-17.gif

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concept of "in my eyes" is very interesting to me. Different cultures across the globe seem to favor different color schemes for their homes. There is a wide of a variety of locally popular color schemes around the world that one does not normally find here in the USA. I have wondered why this is and concluded that in part it could be due to the availability of paint pigments at the local "Home Depot" or it could have something to do with the differences in how all these Home Depot shoppers appreciate different colors of the spectrum or a combination of both of these things?

One of my neighbors recently added a stunning red pigment to their house and more than one neighbor asked me if I'd seen what they painted around the corner? They knew I had when I responded dryly; "You mean the fire station?"

I think that being able to manipulate the light spectrum that is bombarding our corals might allow folks with genetically different eyes to appreciate how other people might see a coral normally. I suspect this is impossible to prove, but I also suspect that it is true that this could be the root of the reason why some folks like to live with the blues cranked while other folks only listen to rock and roll on their favorite station 14K? (Music has parallel arguments on those sites I'd wager.) Remember the dress?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

I have dyslexia and I think that has shaped my appreciation of life significantly. I almost failed Kindergarten because the numbers were spinning, but that's another story. I don't have a pair of the magic glasses that were available at RAP and I'm kinda thinking that a pair should be included with every online frag purchase. It might help stop folks from feeling they got ripped off when the brownouts arrive with the name "Dayglo Underground Psychedelic Electric Sunshine" (DUPES) in sharpie on the outside of the bag.

You see, it doesn't mean anything if you don't make a point. So here is mine: What is the point of discussing other people preferences and attacking them for seeing the world differently than you do?" But it sure is fun, right?

The red house on the corner faded rapidly, and now people are ok with it.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concept of "in my eyes" is very interesting to me. Different cultures across the globe seem to favor different color schemes for their homes. There is a wide of a variety of locally popular color schemes around the world that one does not normally find here in the USA. I have wondered why this is and concluded that in part it could be due to the availability of paint pigments at the local "Home Depot" or it could have something to do with the differences in how all these Home Depot shoppers appreciate different colors of the spectrum or a combination of both of these things?

One of my neighbors recently added a stunning red pigment to their house and more than one neighbor asked me if I'd seen what they painted around the corner? They knew I had when I responded dryly; "You mean the fire station?"

I think that being able to manipulate the light spectrum that is bombarding our corals might allow folks with genetically different eyes to appreciate how other people might see a coral normally. I suspect this is impossible to prove, but I also suspect that it is true that this could be the root of the reason why some folks like to live with the blues cranked while other folks only listen to rock and roll on their favorite station 14K? (Music has parallel arguments on those sites I'd wager.) Remember the dress?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

I have dyslexia and I think that has shaped my appreciation of life significantly. I almost failed Kindergarten because the numbers were spinning, but that's another story. I don't have a pair of the magic glasses that were available at RAP and I'm kinda thinking that a pair should be included with every online frag purchase. It might help stop folks from feeling they got ripped off when the brownouts arrive with the name "Dayglo Underground Psychedelic Electric Sunshine" (DUPES) in sharpie on the outside of the bag.

You see, it doesn't mean anything if you don't make a point. So here is mine: What is the point of discussing other people preferences and attacking them for seeing the world differently than you do?" But it sure is fun, right?

The red house on the corner faded rapidly, and now people are ok with it.
Thanks for sharing this. It definitely provides thought-provoking statements.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See now... Being that RAP NY was my first convention for reefs I thought that the sunglasses were to stop your eyes from hurting so bad from all the blues... I didn't know that they enhanced what you were looking at... That's just foolish. I was not in the hobby 5 years ago so I have no clue what anything looked liked, however, i can say walking through RAP there was some really cool looking corals, of course blues were required but still awesome.
I’m with you all the blue light hurt my eyes after a while and everything looks the same but the filter of the orange glasses helps with that.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went to reefapalooza this last weekend in NY. Havent seen many of these new LE corals in person just online photos. So went to booths and looked at these new named acros. First off they look NOTHING like the photos. Well let me clarify that they look nothing like the photos to the human eye, with the blue lighting orange glasses that they were selling at the swap yes they have a resemblence. Now I don’t remember as little as 5 years ago needing orange glasses to see the colors of any acro. I really can’t believe at these swaps now they are selling orange glasses to manipulate the colors of corals. We didn’t need any manipulation of colors for any old school acros but then again I don’t remember acro frags being sold for over 100 dollars. I guess it helps sell them at big bucks. I’m so glad I didn’t order a new LE acro online and got to see it in person first.

I agree I like the old school corals too..

Seems it is a hot topic lately because there have been several threads on it.

The old school corals seem to be making a comeback...

My favorite is still the Tyree purple monster.
I would actually like to get one...

There is nothing wrong with some blue and having the corals fluoresce some..
I agree when you have to squint to see anything other than these fluorescent colors or where orange glasses it is out of hand. Fish do not look right under too much blue.

I’m with you all the blue light hurt my eyes after a while and everything looks the same but the filter of the orange glasses helps with that.

I hate the look of too much blue.. It to me is a marketing to convince people to like it so they can sell brown corals.

I mean with out blue light the Walt Disney is ugly. But hey they just made a fortune selling a ugly coral.

Cant knock a company that can sell stock like that.

If I sold corals I would sell both. Sell what the market wants.

Last edited:

RacinJason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit when I read 'orange glasses' I actually, really did laugh out loud. That's awesome.

Pink Lemonade and Pearlberry still may be the two nicest acros of all time. OF ALLL TIME!
I was going to post the same thing, still two of my all time favorites.

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a pair of examples about how the blue-with-orange-glasses look can inform you of what the coral can look like when "fully cooked". I apologize that these examples are of closely-held corals that Sanjay & I share, rather than ones that are commonly available to the public, but these are the ones I've been photographing for a long time.
Here's the original led+filter pic of the Red Photon, at the time, these colors were just barely there under daylight spectrum, and only hinted-at without the orange filter. That's not to say it wasn't beautiful, but it wasn't "special" under normal lighting:
20170527_223516.jpg

Fast forward about 2 years, and take a look at the colony I grew out from a frag from this colony, under much higher light than what it was getting at Sanjay's.
20190115_135617-01.jpeg
This is under G2 Pro Radions running full-blast, looks pretty close, right?
Fast-forward another 6 months, I added two more Radion G4 Pros to significantly increase the light again. This caused it to develop the beautiful blue tips that show up in the orange-filter pic. This is extremely hard to photograph, unfortunately.
20190514_140030_edited.jpeg

Here's another recent pic, this time with the Radions set to 8,000K
20190624_185812_edited_edited.jpeg

As a second example, here's Sanjay's Party Time Acro. This true table started to glow bright yellow under blue LED light at night, like under this orange-filter pic.
34445941_10157847462085329_6628142553667469312_n.jpg
Unfortunately, this color was very difficult to achieve in daylight, and we had all but given up, as most colonies, even under high light, ended up a nondescript grayish-lavender with peachy corallites.
But, fast-forward again to when I upgraded my lights: I decided to try coloring this one up no matter what it took, and under 1500 PAR, it finally cooperated, as you can see in this 8,000K pic of a frag I colored up.
61495329_10119360728022734_7058807982523416576_o.jpg

pjgazmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was there too, and like one said its all about marketing strategy, there is even one booth that their corals are popping i colors esp the red ones are insane, but when you look at the light its all blue very very blue, i guess whatever it takes to make thing pleasant to the eye, but i rather see the coral with no glasses to see their natural color

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love old school sps. Been on the hunt for a year for a nice oregon tort...
Try Reef Gardener in South Florida. Shes sometimes has a frag and is a good size one for a reasonable price. Shes on Ebay now and again too.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back