• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Top Lids, learn from my mistakes.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to try to keep this short. I need a lid. I go with top lids. After contacting them through their website chat I get a text. He asks what I need, I explain what I need and I send a drawing.

729210043.png

And several photos.

20240208_185402.jpg

20240208_185348.jpg

I explain where I want the doors and that I want it to fit inside the Euro Brace. The person I was talking to was very friendly and knowledgeable and when talking to him he made it sound like it was a done deal. In the texts he asks for the inside dimensions and about the auto feeder. He even mentions they have templates for most auto feeders. At this point I think we are working on the lid. He says before they can make the lid model they need payment. At this point all I know is I am talking to someone about how I want my lid, I haven't explored the site yet. So I log into the website and make the payment. I did scan the website and skimmed this but misread it as saying no refunds after drawings. In my mind, yeah you get a model that was work. I need to learn to read.

image_2024-02-17_191612870.png

Skimming is not reading kids and reading is fundamental. I paid the money thinking it was a done deal. I mean in the texts he is asking me measurements, I sent the photos he asked for and the drawing. Right?

Wrong. After 5 days I am like where the heck is my model I paid way to much for? So I ask, he says my engineers are working on it. OK that was a lie. Because on day 5 the same day I asked what the heck, I get an email from another person I never spoke to. This email has three videos. All three have nothing to do with the lid at all. They are strictly telling you how to measure for their lids. None of the videos told me how they want me to measure for inside a Euro Brace. They also have this long drawn out form. Where you lay a tape on the tank and take a photo of the tape on the glass. One of the photos want's to know how deep your tank is. Why? I don't want to do this, and I already answered all his questions and sent all these photos and measurements via text...to another...person? So I email back. It was close to the end of the day so I guess that's why I didn't hear back. After thinking about it I decided I just didn't want to mess with it. I also got a quote for another lid and it was $100 bucks cheaper and they had no issue with my diagram.

So I email for a refund. I immediately get a text pretending I never asked for a refund. I explain I don't want to go forward to which he explains, well we keep 30%, that's over $130. No drawings have been made, no 3D model, I haven't even sent their stupid form yet. Just a email and a few texts back and forth. I did not know that the process was going to be so stupid and lengthy. If they would have disclosed this I would have never went with them. If I cancel the process, I will owe 130 bucks. 24hrs. Nothing happened in 24hrs. We had a few texts, but I didn't even get the email until day 5. So this policy is a money grab.

This is unacceptable and I need to learn to read. NO ONE should work with these people after reading this policy. What are they out? So now I lose it and go full Karen. I am so fed up at all this. $130 bucks for this company to jerk me around? He says, I will have to get contact my CEO to find out what we can do. Then he says they can use my photo we don't need the form, "my engineer just sent that because I didn't send him your drawing, we will make you a perfect lid." I don't care! I am forced to stick with this company or lose $130.

This company seems like one person pretending to be CEO, engineers, and administrators. It's one dood. The guy who sent the email and the text guy has to be the same person. No way they have this whole team of people. It's a way to pass the buck to some imaginary person. This fake C E O? LOL! Just give me my money back. No he would rather force me to be stuck with him, or out money for nothing. (I just googled, they have five people, no wonder this lid is so expensive!)

I am so tired of companies like this. Please everyone learn from me avoid this company like the plague. I refuse to let this person keep my 130 bucks therefor I have to continue with them. Never ever do business with a company with a bad policy.

A bad company will write bad policies to sucker in idiots like me. Very effective. PLEASE learn from my mistakes.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pretty standard policy for lid companies.
Sure, I read it and still stupidly gave them money. Here is the hang up, they haven't done anything. They made it seem like all that info in text was to make the lid, told me I was getting a model, after five days I got an email on how to measure. I admit, totally my fault.

Also the other two companies I shopped fix mistakes no questions asked, Top Lids, not so apparently. Well if you read the facebook posts.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive dealt with his company for 2 lids. The current company is Tyler and Fred. Fred does the drawings and cuts the lid. Nvr had any issues. Too bad I’m sure they can work it out with u. That’s best done customer and vendor private session. @Top_Lids

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive dealt with his company for 2 lids. The current company is Tyler and Fred. Fred does the drawings and cuts the lid. Nvr had any issues. Too bad I’m sure they can work it out with u. That’s best done customer and vendor private session. @Top_Lids
Why do they pretend they have this whole team? Just curious. To me it seems like two people. Which makes sense.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for pointing out those Facebook reviews. I was >< to starting the order process - I've got no time for that nonsense. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. It's truly unacceptable on so many fronts.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

85$ for a pair of custom designed lids for my 75g

Post 25 I give a link to the store/seller

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a custom made lid from Octo Aquatics. Price was reasonable (I looked at two others) and lid turned out great.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who made that mistake with that company as well. Totally bull poo experience and she warned everyone from her thread.

How are they still in business?

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine made by Clearview Lids. Flawless experience from start to finish.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Devisissy I asked, and my friend did eventually get the lid after many attempts, asking for refunds, lots of emails, possibly some mild threats as well. But, a lid did come. Eventually. So just keep at them.

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caveat Emptor. Had a crummy experience trying with them back when I had a waterbox AIO tank. Ended up finding a local lid maker for just over 100$ @ the time.
You know I have machine. Yeah a CNC machine. It's set up for metal right now but for another 6 grand I can set it for poly. It's the molds that cost a fortune but since these lids are flat I just need to cut. Maybe I should try a side gig?

OP
OP
Devisissy

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me as well. They did a fantastic job on my 55 gallon lid.
I had a premade one from them. It was supposed to be an exact fit for the JBJ 45 with the curved glass. It was not a very good fit at all. Lot's of slop. And it bowed after a few years. Even though I used a soft cloth it was so scratched after year three I threw it away. However now they have the Pisces and that things looks way rad. Back then it was just this thick plastic and if what they say is true they have changed materials.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know I have machine. Yeah a CNC machine. It's set up for metal right now but for another 6 grand I can set it for poly. It's the molds that cost a fortune but since these lids are flat I just need to cut. Maybe I should try a side gig?
Why do you have to spend six grand? Why can't you just get a HSS bit pin your polycarbonate to a aluminum scrap?

That's what I have done with a computerized Bridgeport.
1000001517.jpg

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back