Splurge on a LID? Or diy?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clearview on my 525 XL and love it. Looks great and is pretty easy to remove when I need to do WC.

I did have an issue with my lid after about a year ( cracking ) but Clearview customer service was great and took care of my issue. They will not be the fastest option BC from what I understand they are made to order but if you plan to have your tank a while i think it is worth it.

I tried the DIY screen, and RS screen options in the past and both ended up in the garbage.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Window screen frame, plastic netting, and a good cutting tool. It will be of comparable quality to a custom built one for 10 bucks.
I did something similar like this for my lid and it cost me around $10 as well

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clearview on my 525 XL and love it. Looks great and is pretty easy to remove when I need to do WC.

I did have an issue with my lid after about a year ( cracking ) but Clearview customer service was great and took care of my issue. They will not be the fastest option BC from what I understand they are made to order but if you plan to have your tank a while i think it is worth it.

I tried the DIY screen, and RS screen options in the past and both ended up in the garbage.
Ya I have no doubt on how much better it will look. Another reason not pulling the trigger on the RS diy is because I know I’m gonna spend over 130$ and then make it and not like it bc it’s not perfect or the mesh is too tight and I’m gonna throw it out and buy a clearview. Imma think about it over the day and order one tomorrow. It sucks clearview doesn’t do any discount/promotions. I guess when u build them by hand you don’t want to discount.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a D-D The Aquarium Solution Ltd Jumpguard DIY Aquarium Cover and was fairly happy with it. If I don't get a bigger tank I may go with a custom lid but would probably be just as happy keeping the D-D.

I know what you mean by a pain to remove and access, I think I would definitely want a 2 piece lid on a 6 foot tank.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a D-D The Aquarium Solution Ltd Jumpguard DIY Aquarium Cover and was fairly happy with it. If I don't get a bigger tank I may go with a custom lid but would probably be just as happy keeping the D-D.

I know what you mean by a pain to remove and access, I think I would definitely want a 2 piece lid on a 6 foot tank.
I like jumpguard due to the black mesh. This is the one I had on my 4ft 120gal but for this tank I wanted something nicer but just can’t get myself to justify a 500$ lid purchase. The 500$ isn’t gonna change anything in my life but I just can’t get myself to pay that’s much for a lid, especially since I had two toddlers that I can spend it on.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like jumpguard due to the black mesh. This is the one I had on my 4ft 120gal but for this tank I wanted something nicer but just can’t get myself to justify a 500$ lid purchase. The 500$ isn’t gonna change anything in my life but I just can’t get myself to pay that’s much for a lid, especially since I had two toddlers that I can spend it on.
Lol, I feel the same way. I got the D-D with the intent that it be temporary until I got a custom lid. But, I don't know that the price of the custom ones is worth it.

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six months ago I bought screen, screen frames, connectors, and additional 1" X 1/8" plastic strips to keep the frame in place. Parts are still sitting in my garage. I recommend DIY, if you can fit it in.

That said, my Midas Blenny jumped a couple of days ago, but landed back in the tank. I now will try to get this done ASAP.

Kraken Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any question on our products, feel free to shoot us an email [email protected]

The DIY route can be frustrating to put together depending upon how "handy" you are, but can be done and save some cash to put towards that blotchy you had mentioned. There are a couple benefits to the custom lids over the DIY, such as you receive it, and install, that simple. Cutout options are tailored to your setup and optional feed openings and cups can make life simple. Our standard production lead time is 2-4 weeks, and expedited (1 week or less) should be returning after this weekend.

Either route you go, we would recommend using 1/4" mesh or smaller, the 3/8" mesh that some DIY kits have is far too large to do the main purpose of keeping your fish contained.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off my Reefer 350 with a cheap DIY lid. Then I moved up to a Red Sea DIY lid.

I currently have a Clearview lid.

Don't do what I did. Skip straight to the final stage. I can only speak to my experience with Clearview - it took a while, but it was perfect when it arrived. I used their modular style, so when I picked up a Plank autofeeder later on, I just had them make me a new side piece to accommodate the mount for the autofeeder and I didn't have to get a new lid.

I'm not going to deny that others may have had problems with them, and I can't comment on the other lid makers - but my experience with Clearview was great and I would absolutely buy from them again when I eventually get a new tank.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go full diy. Try 3d printing some connectors to hold onto your tank if it's rimless. Depending on your location, local library might have a 3d printer for use. Thingiverse has some printable files

dsh92056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Top Lids, but I get it, it wasn’t cheap especially with an evaporation lid. I was losing 3 gallons of evaporated water a day and they just wouldn’t work for me so I got the evaporation lid as well now I only go through about a gallon a day.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one too. But it's hard to use it on a rimless tank. I kinda hate it. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clear view Pisces exo on my 425xl. Stupid expensive but I liked the modular style. Instead of having to chop up your nice looking lid you just order an adjustment. Which I’ve done once already. It’s really easy to change out the pieces yourself. It’s really nice looking and modular. That’s what ykur laid stupid money for.

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Clear view on my red sea 300.Just bought a TopLid for my Red Sea 850.Top lids my opinion looks much better. Only major problem is that it was short.Now im in limbo waiting for them to follow up and send me a new one. Waiting game and now the communication has slowed down. I'll be a little more patient.But dont take my money then move slow to correct the issue. Also no direct contact number, I don't like that text chat crap.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any question on our products, feel free to shoot us an email [email protected]

The DIY route can be frustrating to put together depending upon how "handy" you are, but can be done and save some cash to put towards that blotchy you had mentioned. There are a couple benefits to the custom lids over the DIY, such as you receive it, and install, that simple. Cutout options are tailored to your setup and optional feed openings and cups can make life simple. Our standard production lead time is 2-4 weeks, and expedited (1 week or less) should be returning after this weekend.

Either route you go, we would recommend using 1/4" mesh or smaller, the 3/8" mesh that some DIY kits have is far too large to do the main purpose of keeping your fish contained.
Thanks for the info. I like the way your lids look as well but seem to be the most expensive as well. Any discounts you guys have that can be applied?

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT USE TOP LIDS. I am dealing with them right now and it is a nightmare. It's very clear Tyler does not know how to run a business. It is taking FOREVER just to get the designed approved. They don't listen to your feedback or anything.
I just want to second this, stay away from Top Lids.

I have had no issues with and love my Kraken Reef cover though!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've done a couple different diy window screen tops on a 6' tank. They looked ok at first, but kind of went down hill pretty fast.
Several years ago I went to Clearview lids and while it did take a really long time ( maybe 4-5 months) I did get a top and it looked really cool. But I soon found out that with the large feed door in the middle it created a weak point in the middle and the top sagged down into the water. I hated that the minute I saw it.
I contacted Clearview lids and they agreed to re-make my top with the small door and send it to me free of charge.
I had that one for about 2 years before it did the same as the first lid, but not as bad.
I still have both, but don't use them.
So now I am using the DD Jumpguard kit.
With having a 72" x 30" footprint I knew the 30" wide was any issue so with this time I decided to split the top into 2 sides and I added a center support brace for each side. I know it seems excessive, but it works for me.
I love the low profile look. My tank is eurobraced and the top doesn't stick up above the glass.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a couple different diy window screen tops on a 6' tank. They looked ok at first, but kind of went down hill pretty fast.
Several years ago I went to Clearview lids and while it did take a really long time ( maybe 4-5 months) I did get a top and it looked really cool. But I soon found out that with the large feed door in the middle it created a weak point in the middle and the top sagged down into the water. I hated that the minute I saw it.
I contacted Clearview lids and they agreed to re-make my top with the small door and send it to me free of charge.
I had that one for about 2 years before it did the same as the first lid, but not as bad.
I still have both, but don't use them.
So now I am using the DD Jumpguard kit.
With having a 72" x 30" footprint I knew the 30" wide was any issue so with this time I decided to split the top into 2 sides and I added a center support brace for each side. I know it seems excessive, but it works for me.
I love the low profile look. My tank is eurobraced and the top doesn't stick up above the glass.
Thanks for the info. I was think of doing the same as well but just making two 3ft sections without the extra bracing. So having side by side metal frame in the center of the tank didn’t affect your corals? Do you have a pic? Also I think the new exo lids @ArtFully Acrylic makes has 3 sections so it shouldn’t sag.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the info. I was think of doing the same as well but just making two 3ft sections without the extra bracing. So having side by side metal frame in the center of the tank didn’t affect your corals? Do you have a pic? Also I think the new exo lids @ArtFully Acrylic makes has 3 sections so it shouldn’t sag.
I actually use the center brace for a handle most of the time.
Plus it helps keep everything tight and straight.
No real shadow with 2 frames side by side.

Please excuse the cheesy sheet metal light housing.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back