OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use the center brace for a handle most of the time.
Plus it helps keep everything tight and straight.
No real shadow with 2 frames side by side.

Please excuse the cheesy sheet metal light housing.

Very nice. Plus it makes it easy to remove and clean I bet.

Kraken Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I like the way your lids look as well but seem to be the most expensive as well. Any discounts you guys have that can be applied?
All of our lids include the shipping to the lower 48 states, where the competitors add that at the end. We currently use the thickest polycarbonate (0.375") compared. We also have the fastest lead times around, and actually complete in that time. You can use code R2R10 for 10% off any new order.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of our lids include the shipping to the lower 48 states, where the competitors add that at the end. We currently use the thickest polycarbonate (0.375") compared. We also have the fastest lead times around, and actually complete in that time. You can use code R2R10 for 10% off any new order.
Thank you and really appreciate the 10%. Now pricing is roughly the same. Quick question for you…can we move the feed hole? I may not need to but just asking also can it be rectangle or is circle your style. Have heard a lot of people love your lids but just looking at it wouldn’t condensation be an issue? Since it doesn’t have the cut outs like those exo lids. dang and I had almost convinced myself to order the diy kit

Kraken Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and really appreciate the 10%. Now pricing is roughly the same. Quick question for you…can we move the feed hole? I may not need to but just asking also can it be rectangle or is circle your style. Have heard a lot of people love your lids but just looking at it wouldn’t condensation be an issue? Since it doesn’t have the cut outs like those exo lids. dang and I had almost convinced myself to order the diy kit
The feed opening would have to stay the same, our 3D printed covers are produced in bulk and for our feed cups to work it would have to be the same as well. Condensation is wildcard depending upon your room environment (temperature/humidity) compared to the tank. To get a better idea on how they look, WWC recently posted this video on Vic's office tank;

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello once again smart folk

I was wondering what people think of the lid options we have. Currently running a Red Sea xxl 750 v3 without a lid. I recently los a wrasse and a clown. Now I know I need a lid but what do I get? A redsea diy is coming out roughly around 130-150 with all the cut outs plus all the annoying work to cut to size and getting netting done right. The other option is either toplids, kraken or clearview. I contacted only clearview and although helpful in responding I’m looking at close to 500$ for a exo lid. Still this seems to be cheapest from the 3 companies mentioned above.

Do you guys know of any other or any discounts that can be had with one of these three. I want a nicer lid than a Red Sea diy but 500$ seems a little much for just a lid. Is the extra 350 worth it?

Thanks
I made my own lid. I used aluminum screen framing that you buy at a hardware store, along with extra splines. The bought the mesh screen material for aquarium lids. I like a hinged lid for feeding and what not, so I also purchased a pair of aluminum hinges with aluminum fasteners. Then you can customize your lid however you wish. It is not that hard, and did not take that long, but well worth the effort.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feed opening would have to stay the same, our 3D printed covers are produced in bulk and for our feed cups to work it would have to be the same as well. Condensation is wildcard depending upon your room environment (temperature/humidity) compared to the tank. To get a better idea on how they look, WWC recently posted this video on Vic's office tank;

This is the main reason I didn't pick you guys although you were SO AMAZING on the phone. Inside the Euro Brace you have the brace plus your frame, and the brace right now is already pure condensation. So I went looking for places that had an open frame. I know your tank lid would be amazing but would cost me in light par.

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think Red Sea diy? At least if I fail it’ll be my fault I guess.
I have no experiece with Red Sea DIY. I can really only give advice based on experience. I just know that Clearview as terrible. If you don't have the tools to fix it, I would not order from them.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Very nice. Plus it makes it easy to remove and clean I bet.
One other reason I like the split lid is most of the time you only need to get into one end or the other. Only having to move 1/2 of the top. Usually just lift and slide over the other one.
One of the reasons I moved on from my polycarbonate ( expensive) lid.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very nice and I like. Thanks for the info. I think you won a new customer. Just quick question…is the lid for the xxl 750 v3 in two pieces? Like can I remove one side only or is it one giant piece? Thanks

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main reason I didn't pick you guys although you were SO AMAZING on the phone. Inside the Euro Brace you have the brace plus your frame, and the brace right now is already pure condensation. So I went looking for places that had an open frame. I know your tank lid would be amazing but would cost me in light par.
Ya makes sense in your case. I wonder if you could’ve gone over the eurobracing as wel

One other reason I like the split lid is most of the time you only need to get into one end or the other. Only having to move 1/2 of the top. Usually just lift and slide over the other one.
One of the reasons I moved on from my polycarbonate ( expensive) lid.
I think kraken lids are split as well. I just asked them. Ya I really like that functionality for cleaning the lid and also tank maintenance like you suggested

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about it, but imagined a fish getting wedged on the euro and being to stupid to flop back towards the tank. Also I did sort of a test with some crap laying around work. It looked off somehow. I bought the diy kit. Just curious.

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my 0.2. I've done some DIY lids and also purchased a Kraken lid. I could never get the clean ascetic of the purchased lids that fir perfectly flush and clear with the tank so it was very worth it to me for just buying it. As for the DIY it is function but definitely keep in mind your light mounts and any other equipment. A rectangle is easier to DIY but when you have to make idents to go around light mounts you can get some tension issues.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option if you haven't checked into it is the Octo Lids from Octo Aquatics (the guy is here on R2R). The lids are fantastic quality, fit like a glove, and the communication is fantastic.
I had heard about them but bc to get a quote you had a fill out a form I just didn’t bother. However, I just did it. Let’s see what their quote comes at. Thanks for the advice

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question while I got u here
1. What do you recommend for auto feeders? Currently I use the Neptune one but may switch to another one? Do you recommend a cut out? If so what size and does it come with a cover? Or can we just place the feeder on the lid itself and let it drop over the mesh?
2. What happens in the future if I change my lights? Do you guys have any future changes that can be made?

Thanks. Sorry for all the Qs but paying 500$ for a lid I want to make sure I ask my qs.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello once again smart folk

I was wondering what people think of the lid options we have. Currently running a Red Sea xxl 750 v3 without a lid. I recently los a wrasse and a clown. Now I know I need a lid but what do I get? A redsea diy is coming out roughly around 130-150 with all the cut outs plus all the annoying work to cut to size and getting netting done right. The other option is either toplids, kraken or clearview. I contacted only clearview and although helpful in responding I’m looking at close to 500$ for a exo lid. Still this seems to be cheapest from the 3 companies mentioned above.

Do you guys know of any other or any discounts that can be had with one of these three. I want a nicer lid than a Red Sea diy but 500$ seems a little much for just a lid. Is the extra 350 worth it?

Thanks
What size are these lids? We make lids like this >>> https://www.tenecoraquariums.com/collections/lids-aqueon
and are expanding into other brands. Pics would be great place to start. Our lids are solid polycarbonate with feed hatches and cups no charge. And you will like our prices.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size are these lids? We make lids like this >>> https://www.tenecoraquariums.com/collections/lids-aqueon
and are expanding into other brands. Pics would be great place to start. Our lids are solid polycarbonate with feed hatches and cups no charge. And you will like our prices.
The tank is a xxl 750 about a 6x2 tank and would 100% need a mesh lid for gas exchange and avoid all that condensation. Feel free to dm me as this might help you for future customers but I’m too invested with kraken at this point.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a xxl 750 about a 6x2 tank and would 100% need a mesh lid for gas exchange and avoid all that condensation. Feel free to dm me as this might help you for future customers but I’m too invested with kraken at this point.
Tencor means well but their lids, whether they know it or not, are more for freshwater applications. Less water flow and more suited for CO2 supplied tanks. They would be a disaster on a reef tank. Or fish holding tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back