Splurge on a LID? Or diy?

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello once again smart folk

I was wondering what people think of the lid options we have. Currently running a Red Sea xxl 750 v3 without a lid. I recently los a wrasse and a clown. Now I know I need a lid but what do I get? A redsea diy is coming out roughly around 130-150 with all the cut outs plus all the annoying work to cut to size and getting netting done right. The other option is either toplids, kraken or clearview. I contacted only clearview and although helpful in responding I’m looking at close to 500$ for a exo lid. Still this seems to be cheapest from the 3 companies mentioned above.

Do you guys know of any other or any discounts that can be had with one of these three. I want a nicer lid than a Red Sea diy but 500$ seems a little much for just a lid. Is the extra 350 worth it?

Thanks

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is a DIY Option. if you are a DIYer. might not be pretty but should be cheaper and do the same job.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly. That’s a big lid and you have no eurobracing to divide it into smaller lids.

150 Diy sounds good to me

I just spent 85$ to get 2 custom made lids for my 75g. I’d send you a link to the store I used but they dont have an option for a tank that large

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Redsea DIY for multiple smaller tanks, I like the ease of having all the components together. Just make sure the lengths they provide work for what you need.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Window screen frame, plastic netting, and a good cutting tool. It will be of comparable quality to a custom built one for 10 bucks.
The clearview, toplids and kraken ones use polycarbonate and looks wise look much more slick than a mesh net with screen frame but I think I’m gonna go that route as the purpose is just to keep fish from jumping and I can use the money saved to buy a blotched anthia

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clearview, toplids and kraken ones use polycarbonate and looks wise look much more slick than a mesh net with screen frame but I think I’m gonna go that route as the purpose is just to keep fish from jumping and I can use the money saved to buy a blotched anthia
Honestly if you wanted to put a black latex based paint layer on the outside of your makeshift frame that'd get you closer to the look you want and wouldn't add much cost

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you wanted to put a black latex based paint layer on the outside of your makeshift frame that'd get you closer to the look you want and wouldn't add much cost
What do you mean? Aren’t the aluminum frames already black?

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you guys think if I go the diy route…would it be ok to do two, 3 foot screens next to each other? Would the double frame running through the middle block too much light? I am asking because I had a diy lid on my 4ft tank and it was annoying to remove and clean and having one that’s 6ft in length would be even more difficult.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT USE TOP LIDS. I am dealing with them right now and it is a nightmare. It's very clear Tyler does not know how to run a business. It is taking FOREVER just to get the designed approved. They don't listen to your feedback or anything.
Thanks. Done. I was leaning toward clearview but now really considering the diy route.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also most of my advice was related to my poor reading comprehension. I was describing the process of making lids for standard rimmed eurobraced tanks. Yes the lids we make for rimless tanks regularly look clunkier
Thanks. Done. I was leaning toward clearview but now really considering the diy route.

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with Clearview was terrible.

They did not make the design I planned on their site. They over charged me. The lid took 4 weeks longer than they quoted. The lid did not fit my aquarium. When I told them the lid didn't fit and sent them pictures they told me they couldn't see the pictures, then later complained about the white balance of the photo. They then defended their non fitting lid telling me how it was supposed to fit, even though it didn't.

In fairness, after they over charged me initially, their rep looked at me account and gave me what they said I was owed in refund. When I got my lid and it did not have the feed holes I paid for (which they said I did not order but paid for; not sure how that is even possible with their site), the rep said that was another charge mistake, so they refunded me more. Whole thing was fishy to say the least.

I am a wood worker as a hobby, I gave up and just took their lid out to my router table and made it fit.

If you want to over charged, lied to, have the order take an extra month, have the lid not fit, then be told some weak excuse as to why they can't see their photo, only to have the lid fail - Clearview is your best bet.

23 years in the hobby, probably my worst experience with a company.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also most of my advice was related to my poor reading comprehension. I was describing the process of making lids for standard rimmed eurobraced tanks. Yes the lids we make for rimless tanks regularly look clunkier
Yea I think right now it’s between diy Red Sea or clearview. $130 vs $500

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with Clearview was terrible.

They did not make the design I planned on their site. They over charged me. The lid took 4 weeks longer than they quoted. The lid did not fit my aquarium. When I told them the lid didn't fit and sent them pictures they told me they couldn't see the pictures, then later complained about the white balance of the photo. They then defended their non fitting lid telling me how it was supposed to fit, even though it didn't.

In fairness, after they over charged me initially, their rep looked at me account and gave me what they said I was owed in refund. When I got my lid and it did not have the feed holes I paid for (which they said I did not order but paid for; not sure how that is even possible with their site), the rep said that was another charge mistake, so they refunded me more. Whole thing was fishy to say the least.

I am a wood worker as a hobby, I gave up and just took their lid out to my router table and made it fit.

If you want to over charged, lied to, have the order take an extra month, have the lid not fit, then be told some weak excuse as to why they can't see their photo, only to have the lid fail - Clearview is your best bet.

23 years in the hobby, probably my worst experience with a company.
So you think Red Sea diy? At least if I fail it’ll be my fault I guess.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you guys think if I go the diy route…would it be ok to do two, 3 foot screens next to each other? Would the double frame running through the middle block too much light? I am asking because I had a diy lid on my 4ft tank and it was annoying to remove and clean and having one that’s 6ft in length would be even more difficult.
Also really curious on what people think of the option in the quote above. Has anyone done it? Any significant light loss?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back