Have you ever had a cool coral, fish, invert or other critter hitchhike in?

Have you ever had a cool coral, fish, invert or other critter hitchhike in?

• Coral

Votes: 85 30.6%
  • Fish

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Invert

Votes: 178 64.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 18.3%
  • No Hitchhikers

Votes: 41 14.7%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what it is but I like it.
It looks like a pink tunicate. That’s beautiful if you’ve grown it out, it also shows a great and well matured tank IME.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Okay, I got home and looked at my nano tank. I have now seen a couple hitchhikers that I’ve not seen in the past or had forgotten about. First up is this intriguing bivalve which is living!
image.jpg

Next up, these strange polyps (if I remember correctly it’s something like with Colonial in it).
image.jpg

And finally, all of this! Especially the strange stringy looking microfauna seen in the centre.
image.jpg
I believe you polyps are asptasia

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I’ve had so many things hitchhiked in when I first kept corals. I had a blue ribbon eel sneak in on one of my live rock pieces, a flat back mud crab, grey sea star on live rock, Xenia coral, I actually once got a clown fish with a anemone I ordered which was weird. I also had several sea urchins, barnacles, scallops, my favorite was probably a torch coral colony that was attached to some live rock that was the best!! Oh and I’m one shipment of live rock there was a octopus that I still have to this day and it’s only escaped 7 times……….. this month lol

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I’ve had so many things hitchhiked in when I first kept corals. I had a blue ribbon eel sneak in on one of my live rock pieces, a flat back mud crab, grey sea star on live rock, Xenia coral, I actually once got a clown fish with a anemone I ordered which was weird. I also had several sea urchins, barnacles, scallops, my favorite was probably a torch coral colony that was attached to some live rock that was the best!! Oh and I’m one shipment of live rock there was a octopus that I still have to this day and it’s only escaped 7 times……….. this month lol
Easily some of the best hitchhiker stories I’ve heard. I wish I could get some of that stuff for free lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you polyps are asptasia
The thing is they’re way too small, next to it is my Mexican Turbo Snail.
Or colonial hydroids maybe.
If that’s a snail or hermit next to it, then it seems pretty small for aptasia.
I was told Colonial Hydroids but I’m not 100% sure on that either.
Maybe they are and I’m wrong though. Here’s two other clumps of them.
image.jpg

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easily some of the best hitchhiker stories I’ve heard. I wish I could get some of that stuff for free lol
Well to be honest I gave away most of it except the octopus because believe it or not I was actually setting up a tank for one!! I gave away the eel the clownfish the starfish the sea urchins all of that because at the time I didn’t have any room for them and I wasn’t set up for it

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the same over here, last time I saw micro brittles was on a leather from an LFS 4 hours away and that was 4 years ago now. Dang how I wish I could find some nearby, I may ask on my next trip to the LFS I get acros from if they have any.
I feel your pain!! It's funny when you see people practically giving them away because they have so many (most of these lucky folks being in the US) and folks like you/me can't find them anywhere. One thing that shocked me about these guys is how fast they can move. I thought all stars were kind of clumsy and slow moving like sloths. Holy cow these little guys can probably outrun me! Haha. :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain!! It's funny when you see people practically giving them away because they have so many (most of these lucky folks being in the US) and folks like you/me can't find them anywhere. One thing that shocked me about these guys is how fast they can move. I thought all stars were kind of clumsy and slow moving like sloths. Holy cow these little guys can probably outrun me! Haha. :)
I know right!
Theyre like urchins where you think they move slowly, look away and they’re on the opposite side of the tank!

I’m hoping to just randomly come across a couple in the future but oh man it’s proving to be harder than finding a flashing tilefish! Wonder if anyone would ship a couple out from America over to the UK… hmm.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right!
Theyre like urchins where you think they move slowly, look away and they’re on the opposite side of the tank!

I’m hoping to just randomly come across a couple in the future but oh man it’s proving to be harder than finding a flashing tilefish! Wonder if anyone would ship a couple out from America over to the UK… hmm.
I think someone asked about that to Canada. I don't think it can be done here :-( but maybe you will have better luck. Actually I should recheck that about Canada because maybe it can be done. :)

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a green lettuce slug (probably Derbesia sp.) as well as an atlantic berghia sp when I placed an order with Gulf Coast ecosystems. Which reminds me...time to place another order - my chaeto is a nuisance to deal with compared to gracilaria in my refugium :p

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that some people are getting fish on their rock is blowing my mind.
I know right!
I still have yet to find any fish let alone my dream fish (I have to find them as hitchhikers as nobody over here gets them as singular fish) of a Bryaninops species.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Isolatedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we're going to be talking about reef tank hitchhikers! They are normally thought of in a negative sense, bad critters, but they can also be very cool, and good! I thought today we could start with the "good" ones!

What's the best hitchhiker you've ever had and how did it hitchhike in? Could be coral, fish, inverts or anything you like!

image via @LgTas
20211125_195857.jpg
The coolest hitchhiker I've found is a comb jelly. It came on the underside of a plate coral and would stretch out a long tentacle at night.

I've also had a couple different stylophora corals hitch hike in.

I also really like some small nassarius snails that came in from somewhere and multiply like crazy. They biggest are a little under 1cm long and most are closer to 0.5cm long. They do a great job of keeping my gravel clean.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back